Breaking in a new reel

Started by troutphisher, October 25, 2009, 20:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished one of my favorite streams today, in the mountains of western NC.
I just picked up two Orvis CFO reels, to match up with a couple of bamboo rods, one of them is a CFO III which I matched to an 8ft Orvis nymph rod, rated as a WF4, The other a CFO IV that matches up well with the 8-1/2ft Orvis limestone special.

I wanted to test the CFO III on some larger fish today, so I headed out to my local waters, and brought a couple of new midge patterns I've been working on.
The patterns are emergers in two colors, cream and tan, both are size 24 with a light dun CDC puff wing.

The water was running high and looked promising, so I headed down stream to fish a section of smooth glass water. The air temperature was right 61 and the water was a cool 48. I looked around and saw nothing hatching but did notice a few rises. I picked a spot where a tree had fallen in the river, and its branches created a seam current. I could see some fish holding on both sides, but didn't want to get to close, so I cast just up stream of the branches and guided the fly in to the seam, then let the current take over. As soon as the fly reached the eddy and pulled away a fish sipped the midge, and the fight was on! it was a nice brown that bulldogged me and made two good runs, before I netted it.

I decided to move down stream a little further to check out some other areas that have been recently changed by the high water. The river has changed in many ways from the recent 6000cfs flow. New holds were formed while old familiar holes were filled in. It was like fishing a new river again.

I found another spot and tried a couple midge patters in the slow water. I had a blast catching rainbows and browns sipping midges in the seams, and some in the open water center stream.

It was getting late and I wanted to try one more area, I new would have changed due to the structure of the bank and change of direction of the river.

I didn't enter the water right away but watched fro the bank for tell tale rise rings. I saw a few but they were in areas that would have had me enter the water that would have given my presence up, so I moved around the bank and picked a rise near the bank. I studied the rise for a minute, then entered about 30 ft up stream to give me a good vantage point and current. The seam curved into the bank them ran to the center to meet the main flow. I casting the fly about 5 ft short of the rise and watched as the current pulled the fly, nothing.

I knew the fish was there fro the rise, so I cast again this time moving out from the bank about 2ft, then hitting the seam on the opposite side, as I watched the fly drift from the seam, I saw the fish sip the fly and set the hook. The fish immediately made a hard run for the center of the stream and had the drag on the reel screaming. I could tell from the feel of the rod this was a big fish, I could feel every head shake and turn. The fish ran hard to-wards me then turn to the opposite bank to get near some roots, but I palmed the reel and played the fish back to the center of the stream, this is when I got a good look at it, it was a nice rainbow, that bolted again breaking water when it saw me. It jumped and I tipped the rod into the pull direction and watched the fish go deep.

Eventually I got the fish near the bank and trapped it on my net. It was a big rainbow, to big for me to get into the net, and not a chance of me holding it for a picture. Lucky for me two gents walking up stream had watched the fight and came down to see the fish. One offered to snap a pic.

It was a great way to break in the new real, and test against a 6x leader and 6x tippet. The real and rod performed they way they were designed to, to protect light tippet.

when I purchased the reel, it was used but in very good condition, both were made in the late 70's, but performed as if they were new. These reals are a good match for older bamboo rods, especially Orvis rods, the real seats on both the rods and reels were made for each other, and they fit like a glove.

here are a few pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Suckage! Woodrow, did you take notes on this post? Guess if you about half way know what you're doing you can still catch a fish or two in public water ;D >:D One more week 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

brownhunter

Simply amazing TP!!!! Great work once again and thanks for the pics of the moment  ;hb
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

I'll meet you there holy one........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutphisher

Quote from: brownhunter on October 25, 2009, 20:52:13 PM
Simply amazing TP!!!! Great work once again and thanks for the pics of the moment  ;hb

Ben,
It's about time we hit the high country brook water again. Let me know when you can get to the water again.

WoodrowCall

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 25, 2009, 20:44:33 PM
Suckage! Woodrow, did you take notes on this post? Guess if you about half way know what you're doing you can still catch a fish or two in public water ;D >:D One more week 8)

Looks like fun TP, I'm definitely jealous. TM...you're a dick.

Trout Maharishi

Woodrow,
Come on peckerwood tell me how you really feel :D   BTW, that's Mr Dick to you ;D or you may also address me as your Holiness ;D Uterus still bothering you? ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

WRector

Got any pics of the new setups? 

Nice going TM  0--0
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

trouthead

Nice fish. The "made in england" cfo's are hard to beat. I wouldn't trade mine.

brownhunter

Quote from: troutphisher on October 25, 2009, 20:59:30 PM
Quote from: brownhunter on October 25, 2009, 20:52:13 PM

Ben,
It's about time we hit the high country brook water again. Let me know when you can get to the water again.

I would have to agree with that. Let me check the calendar and I'll get back with you.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

tbird4