News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Salmon River, NY 19-22 Oct 09

Started by Al, October 25, 2009, 20:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Took a break from sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer to walk by to do a little steelhead and salmon fishing in upstate New York along the Salmon River (Pulaski NY area)

As many of you know, timing is everything in fishing for migratory fish such as salmon and steelhead. It turns out that we were there a couple weeks late or a couple weeks early depending on which fish we were targeting. The main run of salmon up the Salmon River was in mid to late September and the steelhead were just beginning to trickle in when we fished from October 19th to the 22nd. We caught fish, but could have done better but we were locked in to a very nice cabin owned by the Douglson Salmon Run folks for that period.

I go with a group of guys who love to fish but we also enjoy each others company. Just getting together is great. Catching lots of fish is nice but optional.  A highlight of each day was a huge breakfast cooked by one of our "chef's"  (I helped with dishes - They wouldn't eat my cooking)

Our cabin gave us access to the lower end of Douglason Salmon Run which separated us from the majority of other fishermen unless they made a long walk and made a "iffy" crossing of the river which was running at 750cfs. We were at the beginning of the wade fishing water as it came out of Lake Ontario which meant we go first shot at the fresh fish. Great looking salmon and steelhead water.

As previously mentioned, our timing was off. There were a few King Salmon in the river and the Steelhead had just began to come in, nevertheless we all caught a few fish. First to score was my buddy Steve who has a way of catching fish when everyone else is singing the blues.

Big John was having some mobility problems with a bum hip but it did not keep him from making the trip. He said that catching this nice steelhead was better then getting a cortisone shot.

I could not let these folks get ahead of me. (Steve did out fished me but I came in 2nd) I also caught the biggest fish (not this one) but it was late in the evening and a long way back to the vehicle so it is still there for anyone who cares to try for it.

This group has been going to the Salmon River for almost 20 years and we are thinking about changing venues. Not sure where yet, but for sure we need to rethink our timing. One thing is for sure, we will continue to fish together. As I told the guys, "I don't come for the fishing. I come for the entertainment of being with you clowns who are also very good friends"

dnakamoto

That looks like a lot of fun.  Glad you guys had a good time.

5xTippett

Those are some beautiful fish, Al! :)  Now go whack a deer.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flynhokies

sweet trip and awesome fish...doing dishes in exchange for a great breakfast works for me
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

Stuart R.

Nice job! Great fish, good friends and lots of laughs can't beat it.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.