News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Eagle Claw Featherlight Fly Rod

Started by dnakamoto, October 30, 2009, 21:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnakamoto

Have any of you guys ever fished one of these?  I just bought one off of ebay and plan to let my son and daughter try it out.  After reading about it I am interested in trying it out myself now.  I have never fished with fiberglass before so this will be a first.  What's your opinion on these?

Beetle

I have one but don't use it much.

Overlining them helps some but you really should PM Glassfisher as he knows more about these rods than most.

troutfreak

Def need to over line.  My son was using one, just to whippy for him, so I use some on small creek.

mattnmtns

There are a several models, but the ones you are talking about are 4/5 wt. I would agree that they shine more as a 5 than a 4.  For $15.00 which is what I paid for one you can't really complain, and all done and said they are not a bad rod.  I will say that they are a medium slow action which is less forgiving.  Kids, especially mine have a hard time with casting them.  I won't critique the featherlite too much since it is easily obtained for around $20 and is a very fishable rod for the price.  That said my only real dislike is the butt over ferrule design.  If feel that it makes the bottom section stiff and not as quite as a smooth transition to the tip.  So on longer casts it is more difficult and less forgiving  Once again it is $20.00 rod.

Off topic but don't let the above deter you from fiberglass rods or the featherlite.  Personally I am really starting to like glass rods and there are some great ones on the market. If you have any interest in glass you should check this forum out.  Lots of great info on glass rods.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/

trouthead

I have used one of these in the past on small creeks. I used the 6'6" version, it gets the job done for short casting. The action is slow but I like that. Considering the price, you really can't complain much. I've noticed that the 2010 version has a wood/aluminum uplocking reelseat. It's supposed to have an improved action as well. I may have to buy one. It's nice to have a rod you can keep in the truck and not have to worry about.