News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Small stream in the rain

Started by CR, September 28, 2009, 21:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CR

decided to head to the mountains for a little trout fishing on Saturday. I made it to my destination and pulled into the empty parking area fairly early in the morning. By 9:00 am I had geared up, finished my 2nd cup of coffee and hiked into this smaller wild stream on public land. I only saw 2 hikers the whole of the day and no other fishermen which was nice, but may have been in part due to the weather. The forecast was for rain, which had set in upon arrival and would persist throughout the day. I was not totally screwed as the tree canopy provided shelter from some of the precipitation so I was able to stay damp without getting soaked. This was my first time here and it was tough going for a bit. Due to the increased water from the rains, much of what may have usually been good holding water was too swift for me to fish well, though I did manage a few small fish. The nice pools and runs were few and far between today and I had to navigate through the dense vegetation to make it upstream. No real hatching bugs to speak of, but I did spot some stonefly shucks above the high-water mark. I did come upon a good spot created by an old bridge abutment I am guessing constructed at one time by the Civilian Conservation Corps. There was a large washout to one side which looked to be great holding water. I fished this spot slowly and managed a fish on a small rubber-leg nymph. I switched to a stonefly with a worm dropper and worked the deepest spot again. I was about to call it quits, when I shot a cast far to the top of the wash throwing a good mend to let the rig sink. I saw the line twitch and set the hook on one of the better fish of the day, not huge but respectable for small stream standards. I fished some more likely looking runs and picked up a few smaller feisty bows that would attack and reject my offering with lightning speed making it challenging to connect. Around 3:00 I was soaked and began to make my way back to the car, but not before stopping to enjoy the Sammy Smith Nut Brown ale I had left in the stream to cool.

view upstream-

Bow on the worm

And a pretty brown
Just a few pics to share, I do not have a waterproof camera and it was a really tough to get good shots with all the rain.

Thanks for reading,

CR
"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

calebB

WoodrowCall

Looks like fun, I really like that 3rd pic  :j

Woolly Bugger

good job, looks like that water is really flowing good...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flynhokies

nice man...nothing like stream cooled beer to end a day in the backcountry 0--0
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

tbird4

fishhunterphil

very cool, thanks for the report...always awesome to make those last couple of casts that your gut says will produce, and then see it pay off.  very nice brown indeed 0--0

adamsdadd

"We're making memories here.....shut the hell up!"......Chris Smith

croaker

Grand report!

Always remember to make One mo' cast  0--0
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

BugSlinger

Nice - what kind of worm pattern is that - red floss with a marabou tail?  I'm interested...