Smith 10/16 Bigger browns

Started by Fire-Fly, October 16, 2009, 11:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Decided to get out this morning for a few hours, i hit a few holes i havent fished since the spring and wanted to try out my luck. I started out using a wet nymph i tie up called candy corn. It is bascically hot wire yellow butt, then orange wire then a few turns of peacock then partridge, with a gold bead. Anyway i got into some fish early with the first few being around 8-10 inches. After a while my indicator went down and i had a good fish, she ran me down stream and pulled off 3/4 of my line, after several failed attempts to net the fish i got antsy and tried to pull the fish up a little too hard and the tippet broke (4x). Oh well it was still fun, i'm guessing the fish was close to 20 inches. Anyway i fished on and did well i'll let the pics show the rest.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Anyone want to name this fly. My guees ( leadwing coachman )

My equipment for the day.

trouthead

Nice ones. I would fish a BWO pattern for that fly. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is tho. Baetis of some kind.

DarkstarCrashes

I was thinking Isonychia (we call them Slate Drakes) too initially, though I've only seen them on limestone streams and the bodies usually have a little more brown to them. It's hard to tell from that angle, definitely looks too big for any type of baetis to me though.

Nice browns! It seems like that river is growing some fish a little bigger recently.  0--0

Fire-Fly

jwgnc

I agrre - Isonychia - we called it a White Gloved Howdy.  But typicall in Michigan a 14 or 13 sized fly
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

flynhokies

woah the reports coming from the smith are just getting better and better. first it was cool, then i got jealous, now i think im just getting a little mad o-o... ha nice fish dude. keep ripin lips down there yall
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

trouthead

Definitely too big for baetis. I couldn't tell the size. I've never seen one like that.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!