News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Best Waders for the buck

Started by dnakamoto, September 28, 2009, 15:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnakamoto

I am curious to everyone's opinion on the best waders for the buck.  I have a pair of Orvis that started leaking with less than a year on them.  I have heard other people have similar situations with other brands.  So what do you guys think?

troutfreak

Cant you return for replacement if they cannot be repaired by Orvis, right guys?  Which type do you have?  Alos, I have Dan Bailey's myself had no problems and been through all kinds of thickets, briars, rhodos....for two years now.

moodytrout

I like SIMMS waders- I have several pair that I have using for 3-15 years and still going strong.
Check in with Walt at ezflyfish.com (Wilson Creek outfitters)

dnakamoto

I have gotten them repaired supposedly free of charge and then yesterday a $30 bill came in the mail.  I figure the repair probably won't last long, knowing my luck, hence the question. 

moodytrout

Free repair with a bill for $30    That sucks :o

Old Fart

I have had a pair of Simms Classic Guide's, which are pretty well used up, and a pair of G3 Guide's most recently that have really held up well. I've never had any leak issues with either pair, except when I needed to take a leak. I bought a new pair of Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guide's on ebay about a month ago at a helluva good price, and they are good looking waders. I've not worn those enough to give a report on their sturdiness, although they have not leaked during the 2 or 3 times I have worn them. A couple of my regular fishing buddies have been wearing Dan Bailey Lightweight's for the past 3 years or so and have never had any issues with them. A lot of dealers are having closeouts on their waders right now, so you can probably get a bargain on a pair.

Woolly Bugger

Best for the buck Dan Bailey's

Best overall Simms!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

Am I the only one that is having issues w/ their Dan Bailey's?  There doesn't seem to be a major leak.  And there is no water in the boots.  But at the end of the day, my clothes are damp and wet.  Almost seems like they are no longer water proof after 2 years. 
Peter

troutfreak

Peter,
You sure your not sweating up in them????  I tend to sweat up in the middle of the back area when I wear them.  Also, I have heard, may be rumor, if you do not hang your waders up after each use you will have problems....but I never have hung my waders up, so who knows.

peter p

Peter

Platypus

I gots an older(7 years or so) pair of LL bean "wicked tough" waders that are my cold weather full on chesties that only leak when I walk into a barb wire fence, love em.  Not sure about their current line of waders or who makes them.  I also have a pair of simms waist highs with the pull up bib and LOVE these for all uses.  Again, only leak was from a size 12 stimmy hurled by my 8 year old. 

Simms may be pricey but they are the best, in my opinion.

Beetle

Nothing will ever beat my first pair of waders......Red Ball...... ::)

I have sweated through a pair of Chotas and now have Simms (got em on sale).  The Simms are unbeatable in my opinion.

rbphoto

I guess I'm the only one who bought Toggs, huh?

About 3 years and no leaks in either pair (mine or the eldest son's), so far.

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Trout Maharishi

I still love my old school rubber hip boots ;D >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

dnakamoto

TM where can I pick a pair of those up.  You may have just given me my solution  :j