Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Hook: Dai-Riki #125 size 24

Thread: Black Uni-Thread 8/0

Body: Stripped Peacock herl

Thorax: Unique hair black

Wing pad: White Fluoro fibre

Legs: White Fluoro Fibre
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flatlander

Are you coating the hurl w/ head cement...looks shiny in the photo

troutphisher

Yes,
I coat the herl with Griff's thin multi coat.
The herl last longer when I coat them vs. no coating.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

outdoorguy3

Nice combo Karl.  Did I give you any of the tan a brown ju ju's last fall?

Super hair last longer than that  stripped herl!

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

benflyfishn

Very nice!! ;hb I can see them wacking some trouts on the SoHo!
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

CR

Nice- My stripped herl bodies look like shit in comparison. You really have the segmentation down. I am sure this is a good one greased to sit just below the surface as well.

Question about this pattern-I have seen mention of other colors, does the original just incorporate a ribbed floss body or somthing?
"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

flatlander

The original calls for a Super Hair body.  From the creator:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=95

Hard to argue with the stripped peacock herl though--amazing fish catching properties for whatever reason.

troutphisher

Yes,
The original pattern calls for a super hair body, I am waiting for some to arrive in the mail, but wanted to fish this pattern in the interim. I also tie them with floss bodies. This pattern does well fished deep too.

Rhody

just got some Superhair and tied a few last night. now, that you have been playing with all of the body materials for a while, which one do you like the best?-Superhair, Stripped P-cock Herl, DMC thread?

any work any better? I am just wondering if any of them have a better fish quotient?

thanks
rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

red-haired-boy

Another killer pattern! Thanks for sharing.
Your DMC yellow and olive was the ticket yesterday.

Stuart

troutphisher

Quote from: Rhody on October 30, 2009, 10:39:39 AM
just got some Super hair and tied a few last night. now, that you have been playing with all of the body materials for a while, which one do you like the best?-Super hair, Stripped P-cock Herl, DMC thread?

any work any better? I am just wondering if any of them have a better fish quotient?

thanks
rhody

Sorry for the late response,

All the materials have their unique qualities, I like the stripped herl for its ease of wrapping, but the DMC has a myriad of colors to choose from, and when wet changes the tones and hues to closely matches the midge pupa colors I have found so far.

The Super hair in easy to tie in and wrap also, with the added advantage of durability, it last longer than stripped herl, but the colors are limited

Each one will produce fish, but I would have to give the herl a slight advantage in its consistency to produce. But there have been times when the others have produced fish when stripped herl would not.

It boils down to whats hatching, and what colors are in the feeding columns the day you fish. I always turn over a few rocks, to see whats clinging to them, or seine the current to find the right color combinations.

dnakamoto

I thought the title said MIDGET STRIPPER.  Imagine the dissapointment :)  Nice fly!

Rhody

thanks, got several different colors tied up as well as the stripper midges.
you are right, colors by the day can make a big difference.

thanks for all of the patterns and tips

back to my damn leaves
rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

cypresstrout

How is the best way to strip the hurl?  I have heard you can use an eraser or bleach?

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!