News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Midge Stripped Juju B

Started by troutphisher, September 21, 2009, 19:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Like Keith suggested, a pencil eraser works best. I use the softer pink erasers and work the herl in both directions, then turn it over and repeat on the opposite side.
The softer erasers, remove the feathers better and don't damage the quill.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

cypresstrout

Thanks a bunch, TP.  I will try to hunt down one of those soft erasers.  I had been using a regular pencil and it was splitting some of the quills.  Somebody had said something to me about bleach, but that sounded a little too much like chemistry class.

cypresstrout

Thank you.  The soft pink erasers work like a charm!

outdoorguy3

Karl,

Not to be a smart ass, but......how do you get the tippet through the eye of that hook?

Thanks,

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

troutphisher

Ralph,

I don't cover the eye. I know you've been suggesting I use 12/0 thread, but that would just require me to keep another size thread around.

I tie everything with 8/0, thats all I keep on my desk. If I ever get to the point where I cant thread the small flies, I'll try 12/0 size.

Other then the benefit of using a smaller diameter thread, there is no motive for me to use it, the fish don't seam to mind 8/0.

I exclusively fish 6x tippet, never going larger or smaller. 6X threads through the eye very easy.

jis be'in frugal

For the skeptics, among us.

I tied another one using 8/0 thread, after the head cement dried, I poked the eye clean and threaded in some Rio Flouro flex 6x tippet,tyeing in an Orvis knot.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

outdoorguy3

phish,

I hear ya!  The scond one has more of the eye showing, it just looked to me from the pic that that first fly would be hoard to get tippet through the eye.

I used 8/0 yesterday because I didn't have any gray in the 12/0.  Worked out just fine just had to watch what I was doing and keep the build up down.

Tied a Ju Ju in Craven's blue tung colors....smoke and blue.  Turned out looking pretty good, can't wait to test it on the fish.
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Trout Maharishi

what the hell kind of knot is that, a granny knot ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher