News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Collared Doves

Started by 5xTippett, September 07, 2009, 22:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I went dove hunting today for the first time in a couple of years.  We had a decent hunt with about an hour of good shooting.  I killed the first Eurasian Collared doves of my hunting career.  If you haven't heard about them, they are natives of Eastern Europe and Asia.  Ours are descended from some that escaped from an aviary in the Bahamas in the 70's.  They populated the Bahamas in a few years and flew over to Florida. They have been heading North ever since.  Sort of backwards from people.  :)  Here is a picture of a couple.  They are about half again as big as a Mourning dove.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Trout Maharishi

They are dead! How could anyone kill something so beautiful? I bet you wouldn't do that to puppies.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

5xTippett

You have a puppy that needs killing? :o

Gofisher

In TN, there is a 15 a day bag limit on mourning doves. There is no limit on collared doves. I hadn't heard of the collered before. Thanks for posting the pic.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

I've seen them in the Bahamas and the Keys but have always referred to them as turtle doves.  Never heard the the "collared" term for them.  Didn't know they were moving north...interesting.

5xTippett

Malcolm, I first saw them in the Keys back in the early 90's.  They have been heading North ever since.  I have seen them around here for the last 6 years or so, but these were the first that were dumb enough to fly within range.  Ring necked turtle doves are the domesticated variety you see in pet stores. Google Eurasian Collared Doves. TM, does this mean you don't want any of the feathers? :angel:  Gofisher, there is no limit on them in S.C., either.

5xTippett

TM, I agree with you that animals are our friends.  I am really, really, good friends with the ones that taste good!  :angel:

Al

Quote from: 5xTippett on September 08, 2009, 13:19:03 PM
TM, I agree with you that animals are our friends.  I am really, really, good friends with the ones that taste good!  :angel:

Nothing better then a dove breast wrapped in strip of bacon - peg it with a toothpick and place on grill. MMMMmmmmmmm, good. Figure at least a half dozen per person once they taste the first one.

dossphoto

Quote from: Al on September 08, 2009, 16:42:24 PM
Nothing better then a dove breast wrapped in strip of bacon - peg it with a toothpick and place on grill. MMMMmmmmmmm, good. Figure at least a half dozen per person once they taste the first one.

Don't forget to put a slice of jalapeno pepper in the middle before you pin it.... ;D

rjs123

Quote from: Al on September 08, 2009, 16:42:24 PM
Quote from: 5xTippett on September 08, 2009, 13:19:03 PM

I had some here in KC the other day just like that  Al. Very good indeed!

Trout Maharishi

You could be killing some of your ancestors, don't y'all believe in reincarnation  ??? Don't you remember your mother saying eat your vegetables?
― Charles Bukowski

5xTippett

22midge

Hey don't you know vegetarian is an Indian word for "cant hunt worth a damn".
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

5xTippett

A few more like that, Peewee, and you will be giving TM a run for his money! ;hb