News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gierach

Started by brownhunter, August 30, 2009, 18:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownhunter

I just finished reading Fly Fishing Small Streams by John Gierach. I read it because that is what most of the fly fishing opportunities are in the east, and the type of fishing I do most often. I enjoy it, and actually prefer fishing the small streams rather than larger rivers, if given a choice.
This read was good and he took you on a trip down an archetypal small stream. This stream most likely does not exist, because it had everything you could possibly in a small stream. He modeled the book after the St. Vrain River next to his house, but also said it could be any number of streams across the nation.
He discussed how to fish this stream in all of its different areas, what to use (since its a mythical small stream, almost anything!!!!), and what type of equipment to take with you. He let you into his fly box(es) and showed you what he uses on a small stream.
I thought this was a good read, but nothing that was earth shattering or extremely new. If you are new to fly fishing or want to get into fishing small streams, then this read would be a good one for you.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

I consider it a MUST read for all small stream fly fishermen..!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trouthead

Great book. It's been in my library for years. It really helps to get you into the "small stream" mindset.

LivinOnTheFly

This book is getting me through a sh#@!y day in the OR as we speak.
Not at the table Carlos!

Oldman

Quote from: LivinOnTheFly on December 14, 2009, 10:11:27 AM

Lets just hope the patients are having a better day or should I say I hope you was not the patient.

possessed

After reading this post, I just ordered a used book.  Sounds like a goo dread since I love fishin the small wild streams.

Trout Maharishi

"Then me and AK made a pot of coffee" ;D >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Peddler

'Nuther great small stream how-to:
A Casting Approach To Dry Fly Tactics In Tight Brush
Joe Humphreys
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

jwgnc

John Gierach rules.  Whether you fish small streams or large, east or west, Mr Geirach is a great read 8@S.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

LivinOnTheFly

Quote from: Oldman on December 14, 2009, 11:18:18 AM
Quote from: LivinOnTheFly on December 14, 2009, 10:11:27 AM

Lets just hope the patients are having a better day or should I say I hope you was not the patient.

I thankfully, was not the PT this time. I'm a Radiographer in Bristol. Just had a wild schedule yesterday!
Not at the table Carlos!

ASUfisherman

Our library has Fly Fishing in the High Country and Trout Bum available on ebook.  I read Fly Fishing in the High Country tonight after reading this post.  Doesn't apply directly to our fishing, but had some good info none-the-less.  Unfortunately when I was in the last chapter, I copied and pasted a quote from the ebook.  I was immediately logged off, and it won't let me back in to finish the final few pages... what a bummer.

I also ordered a used copy of Fly Fishing Small Streams to read over break. 
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives