Maybe I should have stayed home...

Started by WoodrowCall, June 26, 2009, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodrowCall

:-\So, I wanted to go to the SoHo yesterday, but it looked like they would be generating, so...I went to the Davidson. Just for record, I kinda hate that river. Too many fishermen, too many tubes, too many fish with lockjaw. But, I wanted to go fishing, and Brevard is close. I stopped by DRF and bought some flies they said would work and I decided that I would fish the Upper Davidson in the gorge. It wasn't all that bad, the fish were scarce, but I got a couple to bite. I walked upstream about an hour, decided to turn around...and my day went downhill fast. I was walking back, slipped and fell and got wet. I decided to break down my rod for the walk back and got on the Davidson River Trail. I walked for about 5 minutes and realized that I was missing the tip of my rod, not broken, just fallen off. So, I backtracked all the way back upriver and couldn't find it. This is the rod I built by hand when I was working in Alaska, so I was pretty pissed. I took off my vest so I could walk faster on the river, realizing I'd broken my net. I couldn't find my rod tip, so sadly I walked back up the trail...only to find it exactly where I'd realized I'd lost it. So, needless to say, I was thrilled. Then I found out I had splashed my new camera, which was acting weirdly. So, I decided to try fishing around the hatchery. I was the one millionth fisherman, sigh; I caught a small one, foul-hooked a bigger one, and had 50 look at me like I was a tree. So, the day ended up much better than it could have, but I sure hate the Davidson, won't be back for a long while.

Beetle

"Now if you want only one thing out of life too much, it's bound to be a disappointment. So, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things"

Frustration is part of the experience and will make you better in the long run.  Press on Woodrow.  Good post.

Woolly Bugger

+1 on what Beetle said.... enjoy what ya got and the D isn't too bad anyway..
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

WoodrowCall

Yeah, I guess I don't really hate the river; it was just one my worst days on the water, ever. I was really scared about losing my rod. Also, the Davidson always presents me with a fishing conundrum: would you rather not catch and see fish, or not catch fish and not see fish? Normally, I'm happy to see fish because at least I know they're in there. But in a river like the Davidson, it just seems at times like there's no way in the world I'll be catching those fish. For the record, yesterday still beat a day working ;)

rjs123

Glad to see you found the rod tip.

I know Ive had some very frustrating days fishing the Smith.  There are days when if I didnt know better Id say there werent any fish in the the river.  I know now there are always lots of fish.  I also have had some really bad days where Ill loose a dozen flies and a few leaders due to snags and trees.  Things are getting better though and those bad days seem to make the good ones even better.

troutboy_II

Tough day for sure. Glad it pretty much turned out OK in the end.

As for the gorge, stealth is the ticket.  As spooky as they come up there.  Very different than their cousins down by the hatchery who tend to say "Look.  It's another one. :j "

As mentioned, better than sitting at home or the office.  Any day.  And you didn't get bit by one of those timber rattlers up there.  Good day in my book.  ;D

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.