News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Philpott Smallmouth

Started by rjs123, June 18, 2009, 20:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I fished Philpott again today for a couple of hours.  I was in need of a break from cutting the lawn and thought Id wait for it to cool down a bit before finishing.  I wanted to fish the Smith today but again couldnt.  It was really muddy down in Fieldale and by the time I could have gotten over to Bassett the water was up from the 7AM generation start.

I fished one of the old boat ramps on Philpott, getting there about 6 PM.  I was having a good time catching small bluegills when this smallmouth interrupted my fun :)

It was a suprise, I really didnt expect it.  He didnt hit my popper hard so I thought I had snagged something till that something started pulling back and came out of the water.  Great fun on a 4 wt rod.  I caught it on a panfish popper. I considered keeping it but decided to let it swim off to be caught another day.

Iphone Pics

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Shane

That's awesome. Have you fished above town creek when it's muddy?

S

rjs123

Quote from: Shane on June 18, 2009, 22:27:11 PM
That's awesome. Have you fished above town creek when it's muddy?

S
I have but its been difficult to fish there lately due to generation. One day I couldnt even drive in there due to a truck blocking the road while the crew tried to unplug a drainage ditch so the water wouldnt come  over the road.

troutrus

Those smallies on popping bugs are enough to make you forget the brown trout in the river.  0--0

rjs123

Quote from: troutrus on June 19, 2009, 05:40:26 AM
Those smallies on popping bugs are enough to make you forget the brown trout in the river.  0--0

I dont know if I could forget fishing the Smith BUT the smallmouth sure was a fighter. Ive never caught one before to be honest. I wish I could have played him a bit more than I did.  I had to force him away from some pilings an metal work that is in the water at that place.  If I hadn't forgot my 5x tippett material at the car I may not have landed it.  I needed to add some tippett and used some 6lb mono that I had in my tackle box. The added strength allowed me to horse him away from the snags.

Woolly Bugger

smallies are fun, especially when you can't fish for trout
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jwhop3

Trout are what you fish for when it's too cold for Smallies.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

jwhop3

I love this lake. Truly beautiful. Hopefully the COE will never release control of this water to comercial development. Philpott today looks like what Smith Mtn Lake looked like 30 years ago. It's a damn shame what has happened to that lake now.

I got a kayak because I refuse to be another idiot going 60mph down the Roanoke River.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

kylemc

Quote from: jwhop3 on September 18, 2009, 20:25:58 PM

0--0

flatlander

kylemc

Quote from: Flatlander on September 22, 2009, 09:01:57 AM
Quote from: kylemc on September 22, 2009, 08:51:08 AM
Quote from: jwhop3 on September 18, 2009, 20:25:58 PM

0--0

Smallmouth snobs ;D

Nice RJS  0--0

I was but the mater farmers killed all ours :'(

flatlander

I read that Kyle...that really sucks.