News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-5/28--Dodging Thunderstorms

Started by 5xTippett, May 29, 2009, 22:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

I left Hartsville yesterday morning with the intention of fishing downstream below Bassett for bigger fish, even if I didn't catch a doggone thing.  I made it to Cheraw before changing my mind.  I arrived in Bassett and rode across the first bridge and noticed the water was stained a little too much for my taste.  So I headed downstream. Everytime I got out of the car to fish there was another thunderstorm arriving.  I finally outran them and got to fish for awhile.  I fished for an hour or two and picked up three browns.  I was in a new spot and I noticed that I could no longer see the bottom or even my boots.  I remembered that they were stopping the generation at six and I packed up and headed upstream.  I arrived just as the water was dropping and jumped right in.  The fish weren't moving around much, but I wasn't too worried at first.  After about thirty minutes with no hits I decided I had better downsize my beetle.  Another thirty minutes went by with no hits, and I decided to downsize again and change colors.  The last decision was the right one.  The next fifteen minutes was fun.  I picked up six in short order.  I ran out of light and quit.

benflyfishn

What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Woolly Bugger

sounds like a nice day despite the weather
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

mcanders

Don't you hate it when you hit that right pattern at the right size and you wish you had done it earlier in the day?  Or when the daylight runs out fast, right when you start catching fish back to back?

5xTippett

The last few minutes were the first time in a month or so, that the fish acted like they really appreciated what I was throwing at them.  Lately at the Smith it's been 2 or 3 here on one thing and 2 or 3 on something else, until I run out of spots.  Now that they are keying in on land based bugs I will be a happy boy for a while.  (I hope)  I have fished that river long enough not to get too cocky or to think I have figured them out for keeps. :)

Shane

let's see one of those beetles close up.

S

kylemc

5xTippett

Shane, I'll give you a couple next weekend after you've filled out all the proper forms. :)
Kyle, I've had the watch over 20 years.  Thanks.