Trout in the Classroom

Started by rjs123, May 08, 2009, 19:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

On my way to go fishing yesterday I saw some people in the river and I stopped by to have a look at what they were doing. It was a class from Basset High School. They were learning how to determine the biological health of a river.  One of the girls said she has raised some fish in the classroom that were released into the Smith.  Nice to see this going on!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

it's a neat program, that's for stopping and taking some photos..
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

As many of you know this is an on going project in the Smith River region middle schools. I think they are up to 27-29 schools which participate now. It is a great vehicle for teaching math, science, biology and environmental issues. Just about everyday for the next two weeks various schools will be releasing their trout right behind the Bassett Historical Library. These events start about 10am and usually take about an hour.

On June 5th there will be a multi-school release which I expect will attract the media and some of the local community leaders.

Good stuff - We may not be able to change the older generation who still see the river as an extension of the waste water disposal system but the younger ones may think twice before throwing their trash over the bridge.

rjs123

Quote from: Al on May 24, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
Good stuff - We may not be able to change the older generation who still see the river as an extension of the waste water disposal system but the younger ones may think twice before throwing their trash over the bridge.

I fished right there on Saturday for a little while where they are doing the release and like you said someone drove by the road that parallels the river and threw a beer bottle out the window.  Not sure if they were just getting rid of the bottle or they were throwing it at me.