News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fishing for Carp

Started by halljd3, February 04, 2009, 12:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halljd3

Carp have made it on my list of fish that i would like to try to catch this year, so i was looking for a little help.  I live in the Richmond area, and most of my fishing is done on the James and lakes/ponds in the surrounding area.  However, I'm originally from Fredericksburg and my family still lives there, so I make it up there to fish the Rappahannock and what not a couple times a month.  I'm basically looking for info on the best places to hunt some carp down, and what fly patterns i should take with me.  thanks in advance for any help.

lepomis_mcro

if you looking to catch carp. i can tell you the first step is to find out what type of carp inhabit your waters. see if its grass carp, or common carp. then pick your flies for each.

common carp, i know the least about so someone else is welcome to chime in, is a meat eater so you can use nymph, and crayfish patterns just make sure they are tied on heavy hooks.

the grass carp are mainly vegetarian, and are the one i have more time put into catching. the state stocked them for weed control here in nc. the best time here for me to catch them is may. in may they group up and swim aound the edge of the lake eating whatever seeds fall into the water. my favorite sight is to see a big pod of 10lb, 15lb, and 20lb monsters sipping topwater. so look around the lake or pond see what seed, or berry trees are around, and try to match flies as best you can. also get a reel with decent drag, and if your bank fishing make sure it has strong backing.

grass carp last spring on a small white popper

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

halljd3

I believe that we have mostly common carp around these parts.  Thanks for the info though.  Nice fish!

itieuglyflies

I also live in Richmond and enjoy fly fishing for carp. On years when we have a good mulberry crop the fishing can be outstanding with 10 or 15 hookups per trip. These selective feeders become easy prey when they move in on a mulberry tree that has ripe berries dropping into the water. I only cast to fish that I see and it makes for great fun. The berries get ripe just after the great James River shad fishing winds down and provides 2 or 3 weeks of good action.

I tie a simple estaz fly and actually try to make the fly hit the water with a "plop". The carp get tuned in to the sound of berries hitting the water and sometimes charge the fly. Small blue catfish can be a problem as they too love the berries. I have taken some fish in the twenty pound class but most of the ones I catch are 4-12lbs.

To take advantage of this fishing you need to locate mullberry trees (mostly bushes) along the river bank. You know a tree is right when you see numbers of birds in the trees feeding on the berries and in doing so they dislodge beeries into the water and this gets the carp up and feeding. A handfull of ripe berries will also bring them up. I hope this helps in your guest for carp.

Mstash

I've caught carp under a persimmon tree also along the banks of the lake we fish

5xTippett

Mstash, don't let a possum fall in your boat.

halljd3

itieuglyfies...I've never seen anyone else out flyfishing in or around the city of Richmond... Glad to know there's at least a couple more people out there.  Thanks for the help on the carp...i was out today lookin' for 'em, with no luck...  Would love to get together sometime with another flyfisherman, as i'm the only person i know that is into fly fishing.

Mstash

Quote from: 5xTippett on February 11, 2009, 11:39:52 AM
Mstash, don't let a possum fall in your boat.

Then I quit fishin And thats dinner.
da wife loves um

5xTippett

tbird4

What are some good flies for the common carp, to throw in a slow current river?  I've seen them schooled up when bass fishing but couldn't get them to hit anything. Thanx