I'm more confused then usual

Started by trout_boyII, January 15, 2009, 14:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout_boyII

When searching for a new fly box for Trout_girl's birthday, I discovered that C&F boxes are no longer on the 3M site.  SA boxes, looking like C&F inserts, but different insides, are.  And they are much cheaper than the old C&F.  I can find C&F on a number of shops/catalog sites for full price - looks the same as before to me. 

So my questions are, is C&F still being produced, and has anybody tried the new (to me at least) SA boxes that cost a lot less and look really good?

Thanks for the help.

TB

Woolly Bugger

C&F boxes are listed in the 2009 "The Fly Shop" catalog, along with the new C&FM (waterproof) boxes....

SA's boxes don't suit me as well, but they sure are cheaper... I just keep putting C&F boxes on my Christmas list :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout_boyII

I agree C&F boxes are great and I'm glad I spent the money a few years ago.  I was under the impression that they were made by 3M and I was surprised to no longer find them on 3M's site, hence the question about them being discontinued.  I have not seen the SA boxes in the flesh but the description of the micro slit foam sounded like the same foam used in the C&F boxes, so I was wondering if this might be a cheaper way to get pretty much the same thing.

Like you, I did note that many sites/shops are still selling C&F, but I wondered if 3M is still producing them?  If not, then I think I will pick up a couple before they are all gone.

Don't mean to be spreading rumors here, I'm just asking if anybody knows what the deal is.

Thanks.

TB

Peddler

I bought a fine copy at Madison River Outfitters in West Yellowstone last summer. It works just like the real C&F's but only costs $14.00!
It looks like this one: http://www.yagersflies.com/cfde14flybox.html
Might be worth a call to MRO.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

trout_boyII

Peddler -

Would that be:

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-5002-250-springbrook-swing-leaf-fly-box.aspx

Looks very similar to the swing leaf C&F that I love.  I assume the slotting system works as well as C&F?  What are the dimensions (or at least, is it about the same size as C&F box - not waterproof.

Thanks.

TB

walt

As of early fall, C&F is distributed by Rio here in the states.

ww
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

trout_boyII

Ahh... ;D

That's what I was looking for.  So they will continue to be around.

Thanks Walt.

TB

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout_boyII on January 16, 2009, 16:32:39 PM
Ahh... ;D

Thanks Walt.

TB

Best damn overpriced plastic fly boxes around...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 16, 2009, 18:07:26 PM
Quote from: trout_boyII on January 16, 2009, 16:32:39 PM
Ahh... ;D

Thanks Walt.

TB

Best damn overpriced plastic fly boxes around...

yer damn right skippy!

my favorite for trout fishin' is the  CF3305N

compartments for dries, slits for nymphs, two small compartments fer split-shot and eggs.

[attachment=1]

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Gofisher

Best inexpensive "flybox" I've found. Holds the days midges, dries, terrestrials, WB's, indicators, sink putty and shot.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

tbird4

Quote from: Gofisher on January 19, 2009, 10:09:08 AM
Best inexpensive "flybox" I've found. Holds the days midges, dries, terrestrials, WB's, indicators, sink putty and shot.

who makes these boxes, did you buy the c f replacement and add it to the box

Gofisher

The box was either .99 or 1.99 at Walmart in the pharmacy section with the pill boxes. I had an old C&F panel that I cut for the hookkeepers. Hope that helps.

tbird4

Quote from: Gofisher on March 06, 2009, 07:50:40 AM
The box was either .99 or 1.99 at Walmart in the pharmacy section with the pill boxes. I had an old C&F panel that I cut for the hookkeepers. Hope that helps.

thanks,  the replacement pads for the c&f boxes are like $16, great boxes just high. 

Gofisher

tbird, as a cheap alternative to the C&F panel (which I just happened to have an old panel around from a broken box), you can cut 2mm closed cell foam into strips and glue them in. You can cut your own slits in the foam or just poke the hooks directly into the foam.

tbird4

Quote from: Gofisher on March 08, 2009, 08:26:22 AM
tbird, as a cheap alternative to the C&F panel (which I just happened to have an old panel around from a broken box), you can cut 2mm closed cell foam into strips and glue them in. You can cut your own slits in the foam or just poke the hooks directly into the foam.
I gave that a shot, just cutting slits works well.  Thanx for the info 0--0