News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Stoned on the Smith

Started by Fire-Fly, January 24, 2009, 16:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Got out this morning and met up with a friend to fish the Smith River this morning. We met around 9 and hit the water after looking under a few rocks. The rocks were covered with sulpher nymphs and small dark BWO? nymphs. I also found quite a few helgramites that were 2 inches long. The best was about an 1 1/2 inch long black stonefly we found, the biggest i have ever seen on the Smith, who says theres no food in the Smith. Anyway we started fishing and my second cast i hooked a nice brown around 13 inches. I had tied up some PTN's with some bleached phesaent tail. After a while i caught a couple more decent browns but the best was when i got into a fast run and cast the nymph to the top of the run and allowd it to run the legnth down. I had snagged the bottom a couple of times, so when i set back this time i felt resistance, i thought i had the bottom again but this time the bottom moved, after a good fight i landed a nice brown that was around 17 inches. It was a pretty day to be out although the wind was a little rough.

troutrus

Very nice BJ.  0--0 Thanks for the report and pics.
Hope to get back up that way when it warms up a bit.

Maxfly

Nice report and fish , Glad to see someone get out and do some fishing. 0--0 I'm have too many honey DO's to get done. o-o

dundeal

Great post.  I'm glad you had some action.  17"er is a nice fish.  I'm planning on trying next Tues. or Wed. depending on the weather. 
Interesting that you found a stone there.  I haven't had to opportunity to see one yet. 

tight lines,

Dundeal

22midge

nice fish BJ ....Glad they are still eating them bottom dwellers.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

ColdOnTheShoulder

Awesome report!  0--0 You sure can conjure up the big ones in there.