News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Buller and upstream

Started by flyfish_va, January 04, 2009, 22:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish_va

same ol, same ol.....caught some around the hatchery on PT's, seen some big fish and one really big fish but either spooked them or annoyed them till they left. Caught some wild bows above the dam-PT's, some small ones and a few fat ones and i spooked the big fish up there too.  Damn clear ass water and sunny day!
After i hiked out, i tossed in some POWER BAIT at the dam. I set my rod down while was taking my waders off and boom, he caught me with my pants down. All the fish at the dam all doomed for the frying pan and that one was gut hooked...so i kept him and caught 3 more while eating supper. Got dark and headed home.

The Dude

There are a couple of carp and at least one smallmouth bass in the first big pool above the bridge by the hatchery where the intake pump is.  I used to think the carp were some meathead brown trout until the water levels finally got so low this fall that I could clearly see them for what they were.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

flyfish_va

I did see a sick smallmouth about 14 inchs. One of his eyes turned white and he wasn't moving of swimming rite...They say that wall is awsome up there...

The Dude

I am planning on fishing the entire length of the gorge this spring with a friend.  Until then, I am praying for lots of rain.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

flyfish_va

there is plenty of water, last week or the one before it was actually up a bit...

The Dude

That's interesting.  I haven't been up that way since October, but I have followed it recently via the USGS monitoring location at Chilhowie and it has shown it to be fairly consistently below average.

Stuart R.

I have been all the way through the gorge. It is pretty and a long haul. I was shocked when I came out the the road at that house, I was like holy cow I went a long ways. The water is still low compared to years past, it is up enough to fish but not as good as it used to be. I think the fish population took a real beating from the drought. I used to fish there weakly and it didn't fish like it used to. I hope the water comes up and stays up it is where we used to call "low" I guess it may be our new average level though. I hope not. But CC if you want to hit it sometime yell at me I would like the company. Me and  FF-VA have been trying to go just can't get our days together.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

The Dude

I would love to take you up on that offer sometime.  I usually don't make it up that way too often.  I typically just stop off for an hour or so of fishing on my way up to VT football games in the fall.  It's pretty convenient being right off of I-81.  Have you fished upstream of the AT footbridge?  I tried it once and the water was real low and the fishing was a little too difficult for my skill level to produce much action.
Anyway, like I said, I have a buddy who is getting stronger after some health issues who is going to take me under his wing and show me how it is done on the S. Holston and Whitetop Laurel this spring.  Perhaps we could link up then.

flyfish_va

Hey CC, Stuart isnt gonna be able to make it for the 57th Sunday in a row..So you wanna go to Whitetop...Havent ever fished it and i plan on going this weekend...

The Dude

While I appreciate the offer, I don't think I'll be able to make many weekend trips in January or February with work and other commitments.  Unless I get a stray day here or there between now and then, keep me in mind for Mar-May.