News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

nail knot vs. loop

Started by Fire-Fly, December 31, 2008, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I fished with troutphisher the other day and he told me he tied his leaders on to his fly line. I have been using loop connectors but am thinking about going to a nail knot instead. I was curious what everyone else did. I can see the advantage of tying on the leaders.

walt

tp is an old school knothead idjit...  >:D

if you really want "inline", the needle knot is the way to go...

i personally favor the loop to loop. easy leader change without snipping away valuable fly line.

happy new year....

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

troutphisher

Walt,

As long as you keep selling fly lines, I'm covered. he he he he

The main reason I like and still use the nail knot connection, is the small guides on the boo rods. But I also like the way they cast and un-roll the leader and tippet. I exclusively fish a 9ft tapered leader with about 3ft of tippet, giving me a 12ft connection from the fly line. The guides on the bamboo rods are small and pulling a loop connection through them is difficult.

I also don't like the way loop to loop connections lay out or un-roll the leaders, it's to loose a connection for my casting style. With the slow action of bamboo, I prefer the nail knot connection.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

I use to tie on some mono with a loop, but now the new SA line has a loop built into the fly line...

Loop to loop sure makes changing leaders a lot quicker....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 31, 2008, 10:09:39 AM
I use to tie on some mono with a loop, but now the new SA line has a loop built into the fly line...

same here, mono nail knot with a perfection loop a few inches away.

ya know tp, the loops on the sa and rio lines are so damn small now it's actually tough to feed the loop of a leader through it..... perhaps they are small enough for your tip-top and guides?

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Fire-Fly

Talked to a buddy who said he tied on a piece of 1 ft mono knail knot to his leader then used a uni knot to tie his leaders to the short piece of mono. Seems like a good idea.

Al

Small length of 25 lb mono (Amnesia) nail knotted to fly line, then make a loop less then 6 inch from fly line. Smooth out both nail knot and loop knot with Pliobond so it slips through guides easily. (this also seals end of fly line so it will not start absorbing water)  Loop to loop with Orvis Braided Leader Butt - then add tippet material to end of braided leader. Works for me!

troutjedi

for lightweight lines I nail knot the leader directly to the fly line so there's nothing monkeying up the energy transfer from fly line to leader.  on heavier lines I like using a little chunk of mono or amnesia between the fly line and leader.  throw those damn braided leader loops in the trash - I used those for a number of years and I hate 'em.  if you do continue to use them, be sure that the loop is butted up against the end of the fly line (there's no length of braid between the shrink connector and the loop)

"oldschool knothead idjit"........that's classic!