News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Monday Soho

Started by Fire-Fly, December 29, 2008, 22:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Set out at 5 am to meet troutphisher on the soho monday morning. It was a nice ride till i got 30 mins from Bristol and the fog got thick, to the point that some cars were pulling off to the side of the road. Got to the river around 9 and got to fishing close to 10. We started out using some zebra midges and bwo emergers. The first spot TP got into a nice fish, and after a while i cught a couple smaller fish. We moved down into some riffles and i switched from a jujube dropper to a bwo emerger a immediately hooked up into a nice brown around 14 inches, then a couple of cast later hokked into another brown about the same size. We moved to some other riffles where some jackass decided to drop in on us and commenced to casting within feet of where i was standing. I watched tp pull a couple of nice fish from this spot and I switched to a size 20 bwo dry and caught a nice bow. we finished the day off catching a few more. I've gotta thank Karl for showing me around he was a top notch guide.
      I also tried out the davey knot and had 2 fish break off at the knot, i'll have to say that this knot sucks.

Edited by WB

Woolly Bugger

after loosing a 20+ inch brown to the Davey knot, I too agree to it sucking...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

Quote from: Fire-Fly on December 29, 2008, 22:55:46 PM
      I also tried out the davey knot and had 2 fish break off at the knot, i'll have to say that this knot sucks.

Sounds like a good day while I was workin!  A little suckage jeopardy, three things that really suck... Answer, What is ya'll and the Davey knot.   ;)

Again, try the Orvis knot, strongest tippet to fly knot out there.
http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

outdoorguy3

Practice practice boys!  Your not tying the knot correctly if that's happening.  I had some bad results when I first started using the knot too!  Looked at the way I was tying it and practiced the proper way with braided decoy line and large safety pin.  Practiced and practiced.  Have used the knot for a year now and haven't had the first problem with slipage or breakage.  Landed several 20 in plus fish and one 26" fish on size 20 trout crack...... Woolly. 

Knot works fer me!

Ralph   0--0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 29, 2008, 23:48:10 PM
after loosing a 20+ inch brown to the Davey knot, I too agree to it sucking...
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Discomidge

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on December 30, 2008, 12:57:01 PM

Knot works fer me!

Ralph   0--0

Baccer juice laden saliva works wonders on knot strenf ;D ;D

Kim 8)