News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Max cfs for wading?

Started by trout_boyII, December 17, 2008, 08:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout_boyII

It's been so long since this was an issue, I've forgotten common sense estimates for limitations on wading at higher cfs.  What limits do you use generally?

TB

flatlander

Isn't that wholly dependent on the river? Not sure you can apply a general rule of thumb to it.

trout_boyII

I agree, so let's pick the Davidson as an example.  Feel free to add your own examples.

TB

Woolly Bugger

Yeah, it's all relative to the stream... I think the key is getting to know a river and checking the flow when you are there then you can make direct comparisons.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Deuce

You can fish the Davidson at 1000 cfs, don't worry jump right in....... 0--0

Remember to enter the stream at the  narrow section to get the full efect.... ;hb
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Here's my example for the Davidson...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout_boyII

Quote from: troutphisher on December 17, 2008, 08:57:02 AM
Deuce

You can fish the Davidson at 1000 cfs, don't worry jump right in....... 0--0

Remember to enter the stream at the  narrow section to get the full efect.... ;hb

Thanks for the vote of confidence TP!  I'll have to give that a try.

TB

troutphisher

Deuce,

Another trick you can employ, is to only stand on one foot. This decreases  the surface area on witch the force of the water can act upon. It's like cheating physics!

A simple calculation shows that P is a product of F/A, so by reducing A, you also reduce P.

P= Pressure

F=Force

A= Area

Trust me it works....... 0--0

If your still not convince, you can tackle the raging river on one of these.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

I waded some steelhead streams up north in the 600-900 CFS range, it can be really tough in areas with big rocks.  The only thing you can depend on is <200 is ok, 200-800 depends on the river, >800 is a gamble.   :o
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Mstash

trout_boyII

After all the wonderful helpful suggestions on this thread, I decided to test my own theory that 200+/- on the D was OK, I hit the river about noon yesterday with cfs at about 220.  Following TP's suggestions, I dropped in at narrow section near the hatchery.  Sorry TP, it obviously wasn't running 1000 cfs, but I did find the nooses you so thoughtfully left for me handy in pulling rhodo limbs down to retrieve snags.    :-*

While the water was quick and I'm sore today from moving around in it (I'm old you see), it was doable.  Fishing?  Yes.  Catching?  Not so much.  Tough to get the fly down at this velocity and mending was tough.  Probably should have opted for bugger down stream.   o-o

Later I went downstream, assuming that wider would slow speed down.  (P = F/A ?) It didn't really make that much difference except in significantly deeper sections.  This was before the Looking Glass confluence so there was no additional water being added.  I'm not questioning the formula - too many other factors (streams other than Looking Glass, elevation drop, etc. plus I was estimating which is notoriously inaccurate - just look at my claims for length of fish caught!  ;D  Not rocket science revelations for sure, but it has been a while since I've had to even think about it, so an interesting day to say the least.  In any event, it should give someone pause when jumping into these conditions.

Thanks for your suggestions all and I'm thinking about checking into a river board.  Wonder how you would mend on that thing...

TB

Bloy

I'll go with Wolly's info. It's more high tech  8)

Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

5xTippett

Look at it this way.  If you are fishing the Davidson and get knocked off your feet, you won't get far.  You will end up wedged between all of those comatose people who cast to the same fish for days on end without ever moving.  You can drag yourself to shore from person to person until you get to the parking lot.  Mstash, despite what some people might think, neither one of us is stupid.  If we got out of the car and saw a raging torrent, I think we'd probably keep going upstream until it was wadeable! :)  Or possibly even try somewhere else, like the SoHo for instance. ( I haven't talked to Riverman in a couple of days, but I think he still likes us.)

trout_boyII

You have a valid point 5x.  I've always wondered about the stand in one place and slap the water approach.  I enjoy "wading" as opposed to standing in the D.  I doubt I catch as big a fish (actually, I know that I don't catch as big a fish), but the river is beautiful in most places and there are pieces of it that rarely see folks unless they look.  I really enjoy how different parts of the river look and fish differently.  Gotta hike some, but I suppose that's normal.

If you want to hang out at the bridge , fine - done it myself - but the D has much to offer upstream and down stream if you want to look for it.  Having said that, I hope you all hang out around the hatchery!  ;D

TB

wvyou

After a close call on the Raven Fork last weekend, I'm taking the better safe than sorry approach.  If you don't drown,  plan on the water temps killing you.