Did you know that felt soles are going to become extint?

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 29, 2008, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the elimination of felt soles have an impact on the spread of aqutic species?

Yes, it will help
2 (11.8%)
No, animals play a bigger role that humans
7 (41.2%)
No, it's already too late
4 (23.5%)
What? There's an invasion?
0 (0%)
What about condoms for boots?
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Woolly Bugger

Trout Unlimited, in an effort to stop the spread of aquatic nuisance species, has asked fishing equipment manufactures to stop using felt for boot soles by 2011. Apparently anglers boot have been suspected of transferring everything from the New Zealand mud snail to didymo and whirling disease parasites. In the future sticky rubber, also knows as AquaStealth, will be used as a replacement for felt.

I've been using the rubber soled boots for 10 years and, while they may help in controlling the spread of these plagues, I certain that they won't eliminate the transfer from stream to stream. The problem is that there are seams in the rubber that will come loose after use and trap water and organic matter thus enabling the spread of these creatures.

Are people the only vehicle of transfer? Wat roll do animals play? Is didymo spread by Canada Geese too? Have any studies and research been done in that area?

http://www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH/b.3349147/k.DA5C/Aquatic_Invasive_Species_AIS.htm

http://www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH/b.3205851/apps/s/content.asp?ct=6067059

SAVE THE FELTS
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

I have doubts that you can prevent the spread of Didymo by banning felt shoes.  The cynical side of me says it's just a marketing ploy to sell more boots and really won't accomplish anything. It might delay it, but as I understand it, it only takes one cell of that stuff to infect a river.  It gets into everything.  Shoe laces, the boots themselves, your waders, etc.   If the river has boat traffic, then anchor lines get infused with the stuff.  A cotton anchor rope won't dry out overnight and guides fish multiple rivers on a daily basis.  Then there is the waterfowl issue.  I just don't see stopping the stuff.

Silver Creek

Wooly,

I don't think the seams are the real problem.

Even new off the shelf, rubber sole boots have shoe laces, fabric uppers and thread that can transport didymo. They have drainage holes that allow water into the boot and inner lining. What it will do is give fishers the feeling that they do not need to decontaminate their footwear anymore.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy