News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

NC stream

Started by troutphisher, December 13, 2008, 19:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Glassfisher and I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC today. The water has been high and we wanted to make the most of it. We arrived on the stream at 7:30am and the air temperature was 21 deg.
It was bitter cold, and we had to fight ice in the guides all morning. Normally we save the toasts until after the days fishing, however we needed something to warm the bones. After a couple of hours fishing, Glass broke out the flask of Bourbon. It was just perfect, smooth and heat.

I started the day fishing a size 20 red zebra midge, and dropped a size 22 grey midge emerger off the first fly about 20". The water was crystal clear and running high, so I wanted to let the dropper fly move naturally in the water column. The water was very cool at 37 degs.

We fished a section of riffles and pools and had fun catching rainbows and browns. Around 11:30am the air temperature finally got above freezing, so the ice in the guides issue was no more.

At around 2:00pm a bwo hatch was on, but the fish were hesitant to rise to them, we saw only a few rises.
We stayed with nymphing most of the day switching between red and tan, size 22 midge pupa's.
That was the ticket.

We moved up stream to another section and had the same results, red midges worked.
Around 4:00pm glass hooked into a nice brown, that fought hard down stream, but glass got into the net.
a really dark butter colored fish.

Glass had to leave a little early so he started to get his gear packed, and stop by to say later.
I was just fishing a riffle section, and hooked into a nice fish, that ripped line from the reel, about 60 ft, before it took me into some sunken limbs and broke me off. Glass laughed and said one for the fish.

With that I ended the day also, it was getting to dark to re-rig, and it was a good day anyways.

here are some pic's of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Discomidge

0--0 total suckage.

Kim 8)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

You kinda suck, Most rational people would have at least waited until later in the day to start fishing. Tell Glass to get a real flash, like a quart nalgene bottle.  0--0
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

glassfisher

I'll save the plastic bottles for the guys fishin the plastic rods.  Life's too short to fish and drink with plastic.   ;D 

here's a few more pics
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Gofisher

Nice flask, is it a Dalvey? Looks like a fine time.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

glassfisher

Quote from: Gofisher on December 15, 2008, 21:52:28 PM
Nice flask, is it a Dalvey? Looks like a fine time.

I'm not sure if the flask is anything real fancy, I got it as a groomsman gift from a good friend of mine. 

Trout Maharishi

Question for Al and Glass. I've been thinking about getting a boo rod. What kind of boo should I get for fishing (Spaghetti and meat balls) san juan worms with eggs droppers?  >:D ;D That fancy pants flash carries just enough licker to aggravate me. ;) ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Don't answer him guys....sounds like a trick question ;D ;D ;D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 16, 2008, 21:33:06 PM
Question for Al and Glass. I've been thinking about getting a boo rod. What kind of boo should I get for fishing (Spaghetti and meat balls) san juan worms with eggs droppers?  >:D ;D That fancy pants flash carries just enough licker to aggravate me. ;) ;D

The puuuur-fict outfit to sling them Italian flies!   ;)

[attachment=1]