Friday morning on the Smith.

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 12, 2008, 19:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I knew that Town Creek would look like coffee and that the flow from the generation should be falling by the time I got to the stream. I was running a little late so I went directly to the water only to find it still flowing full! I gave it a try anyway. Across the current the water still flowed clear and there were occasional risers in the mud line and up against the far bank. My midges failed to entice a trout to rise, so I went under and fished a brassie with a dropper. Nothing going on there either. The water was still flowing hard and the sun was rising to its apex just above the ridge. Then the wind started blowing downstream and things got rather chilly. The water finally began to drop but I still couldn't get into any fish.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Time to move on. I drove up about half-way to the damn and pulled over below a favorite run.The sun was shining here and the wind wasn't funneled into a vortex, so it was a lot more comfortable. I looked it over carefully and decided to fish it from the near side instead of the usual approach. This paid off with two little brown trout in a half dozen cast. I moved on up to another favorite spot and caught a handful of rainbows and a couple of browns too.

Had to head home at 1 o'clock.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Very nice!

I got out too, the water is down and clear.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on December 12, 2008, 19:10:20 PM
Very nice!

I got out too, the water is down and clear.

just like a roller coaster.... the faster it rises the quicker the drop...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

flyfish_va

fished that spot last weekend and all i could get was one bow and one missed strike...had me wondering, thanks bugger

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: flyfish_va on December 12, 2008, 20:09:11 PM
fished that spot last weekend and all i could get was one bow and one missed strike...had me wondering, thanks bugger

"brassie and a dropper" that helped you? ha! I never said what pattern they took!
me -There's a season?

5xTippett

Wooley, I met Dean(Flyrod) up there this morning and it was tough.  I caught 4 and Dean caught at least 5.  I saw very little activity and I durn near froze to death whenever I got in the shade.  Unfortunately everywhere I saw fish moving was in the shade.  I quit when my hands got to cold to rerig.  I have decided I am ready for the spring.  I think I saw 2 midges fly by with sweaters on.

flyfish_va

I was fishing a 14 prince up there last week o-o