News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Skunked!

Started by The Dude, December 08, 2008, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

I fished the Chattooga with a friend on Sunday in a very remote section located between the DH section and Burrell's Ford.  The scenery and weather were nice, the wading very difficult, and the fishing too tough for my skill level.  We had no hits and didn't even see any fish.  Maybe next time.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

well at least you got out, that's often more than half of it.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfreak

what were you using for flies???  Did youtry any midges????

tbird4

Did you put in off of 28?  I usually do pretty good over there I love that river.  I normally nymph fish one larger with a smaller dropper.

The Dude

Between the two of us, we threw everything but the flybox at them.  I turned over some rocks and saw plenty of mayfly nymphs and red midge larvae and a few minnows.  It just wasn't our day.  We fished off of hwy 107 in the Big Bend area.  You have to take an old logging road and then hike down to the river.  If you ever go, don't go alone.  That area is extremely remote and the wading is as difficult as any I've ever done - especially when you throw in ice accumulating on the rocks like it was yesterday.  I heard they stock that area with helicopters a couple of times a year, but I guess we picked the wrong time to go.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Trout Maharishi

Woowee if all you want is some fresh air you can come over here. I got some yard work you can do ;hb ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

tbird4

ok i got you, that part gets fished a little harder check your pm

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 08, 2008, 16:00:56 PM
Woowee if all you want is some fresh air you can come over here. I got some yard work you can do ;hb ;D

Fat chance, seeing how there is considerable yard work to be be done right here...

If I can go anywhere it'll be north or west but not east.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

Quote from: CC Waterbeck on December 08, 2008, 13:18:22 PM
Between the two of us, we threw everything but the flybox at them.  I turned over some rocks and saw plenty of mayfly nymphs and red midge larvae and a few minnows.  It just wasn't our day.  We fished off of hwy 107 in the Big Bend area.  You have to take an old logging road and then hike down to the river.  If you ever go, don't go alone.  That area is extremely remote and the wading is as difficult as any I've ever done - especially when you throw in ice accumulating on the rocks like it was yesterday.  I heard they stock that area with helicopters a couple of times a year, but I guess we picked the wrong time to go.

Spent a good many days on the Chattooga over the years from Ellicot down to the Russell Bridge...

Never fished through the stretch from Big Bend down to Reed Creek. 
Always wound up heading back to camp after a long day fishing from either camp (near Reed Creek or Burrells Ford). 

This time of year Rock Gorge would be very tough, verging on suicidal...

B4 I get to old I'm gonna fish that stretch in the summer, as it'll require wet wading/swimming to get through without rappelling and climbing gear.

BTW---  A Tellico nymph fished deep is good during the cooler months on the Chattooga.

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Stone-Man

I don't know anything about your creek,but I do know that high snow melt water is the tuffest conditions that you can fish in.
Also,a totally unscientific opinion. If there is a road nearby that has been heavily salted and then thawed enough to have a lot of run-off,the fishing is bad for a couple days.
Croaker beez Right On about the Tellico.  Lastly,the colder the water gets,the more lead shot you use in front of the nymph.
  It has snowed 6 times at my house in E Tenn so far this year

JT