News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

soho spawning areas

Started by 9ft4wt, December 05, 2008, 11:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9ft4wt

I was looking at a map of the areasclosed for brown trout spawning until the end of january.

Does the section above hickory tree bridge extend all the way to the cul-de sac by the power lines on what i think is river bend road?

From the map it looks like it might stop right about where the bend is at the riffle just below where the trial comes out, but the map is not too excact.

anybody know?

Thanks

Mstash

I think it stops at the top of the island above Hickory Tree Bridge.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

There aint no phish in that river any way. So don't bother making the drive over.

riverstone

Just down river about 50 yds or so from the lower end of the TVA cul-de-sac property there is a big brown TWRA sign on the right bank telling you from there to the bridge is closed during the spawn.

It is just upriver from the camper on left bank.

Hope this helps

troutphisher

The maps the TVA provides, are a general location. Look for the signs posted on the trees at the bank.
The signs are the boundary points. Don't get caught in the closed section, the DNR patrol was out yesterday and checked my papers. I talked to them a while and they are looking for poachers in the closed section.

The officer told me they nailed a couple of guy's the day before. I was glad to hear this and told them thanks for doing the job.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Mstash on December 05, 2008, 12:31:23 PM
I think it stops at the top of the island above Hickory Tree Bridge.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

There aint no phish in that river any way. So don't bother making the drive over.

Dan,

Per map on page 17 of this link, spawning area starts at Bottom Creek and runs to Hickory Tree Bridge.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/StreamRiver/tailtrout/South%20Holston%202.0.pdf

Hope this helps.

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

WRector

Ralph,

Thanks for the great read!  Sounds like Tennessee knows how to manage a great fishery.  Wish we could get some of the other surrounding states to realize the importance and positive economical impact these activities can have. (i.e. Total Ecnomic value of $931,525 for the South Holston.)  Very Impressive!  :j

WR
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

sageinhand

The area below the step grate should be a "closed" soho spawning area. Day after day, the stress, the foul hooking (even if it is accidental), the accidental walk through reds, the hooks stuck in their backs, the fights & arguments, etc. has to have a negative impact. Seriously, think about it. Is this what the sport is about??? These fish are THE renewal resource. Lets let'em do their thing.
One of my best friends says "catch a big one in the summer, then you've earned your braggin' rights." These fish are so vulnerable right now, lets give'em a break.  Just one opinion.
When rivers run dry, trout shall walk the earth.

tn. flyaddict

This would be easy enough yet it hasn't been done.that run, is so guarded daylight to dark by a lot of anglers  doing their thing ???to catch a fish of a lifetime. Easy to access fishing is great leaves the rest of the river alone  ;hb oppppps!the environmental impact on the spawn there isn't noticed by all or even recognized by some its sad oh well its just fishin.

9ft4wt

Thanks all. Looks like I can fish if Igo upstream, which is what I always do when i go to that spot anyway.

9ft4wt

outdoorguy3

Quote from: sageinhand on December 05, 2008, 19:00:48 PM
The area below the step grate should be a "closed" soho spawning area. Day after day, the stress, the foul hooking (even if it is accidental), the accidental walk through reds, the hooks stuck in their backs, the fights & arguments, etc. has to have a negative impact. Seriously, think about it. Is this what the sport is about??? These fish are THE renewal resource. Lets let'em do their thing.
One of my best friends says "catch a big one in the summer, then you've earned your braggin' rights." These fish are so vulnerable right now, lets give'em a break.  Just one opinion.

There are two sections of the the river closed.  These sections are closed because these areas are preffered areas and the best areas for the fish to spawn.
If the areas not closed to fishing were doing harm to the fishery, we  wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?  There wouldn't be any "big" fish in the river to have this discussion about, yet the fish seem to be doing fine.

Using your arguement, TVA and the Game and Fish might ought to close the whole river from November until Feb. becuase there are fish that spawn all up and down the river.  Think the loclas would appreciate that loss of funds coming to the area for those months?

I think it's best to let the biologist and the folks that have manged the river to this point do the managing.  Seems the river is doing nothing but getting better every year at this stage.  Lots of small fish in the river this year for recruitment! 

Ralph   0--0

sageinhand

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on December 06, 2008, 15:38:44 PM

There are two sections of the the river closed.  These sections are closed because these areas are preffered areas and the best areas for the fish to spawn.
If the areas not closed to fishing were doing harm to the fishery, we  wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?  There wouldn't be any "big" fish in the river to have this discussion about, yet the fish seem to be doing fine.

Using your arguement, TVA and the Game and Fish might ought to close the whole river from November until Feb. becuase there are fish that spawn all up and down the river.  Think the loclas would appreciate that loss of funds coming to the area for those months?

I think it's best to let the biologist and the folks that have manged the river to this point do the managing.  Seems the river is doing nothing but getting better every year at this stage.  Lots of small fish in the river this year for recruitment! 

Ralph   0--0

Come on these agencies (TVA & Game & Fish) have lost interest. What we have now is the result of good work years ago. Whens the last time you saw the game & fish do much? Oh yeah, I forgot, remember the time they dumped a bunch of fish from the 44 bridge? Dropped them 15' into 3" of water...nice job!!!!!!!!! Furthermore, it's like the organizations work against one another. They've all but turned the water off at this crucial time. I know it's dry, but TVA could ""manage" water a little better.

sageinhand

Quote from: River Man on December 06, 2008, 17:36:18 PM
Quote:We make some money from that area, but the truth is that section should be closed.[ the upper section] What goes on in this river is very rare. For a river to have that size of fish that actually have a productive spawn is so precious. It is insane for Tn. not to protect it.

Oh Please.....who do you think you're kidding >:D.  If you really feel that way.....you and your guides should immediately quit fishing redds every day as you now do.  If you don't stop....quit blowing smoke up our ass.  What ya gonna do????.....I bet we already know ::).

River Man

"Good guides" know not to take clients to the "bridge" during the spawn. It's bad for repeat business. Once they've been there they'll go back without a guide. Rod and Matt are smarter than that.

5xTippett

I vote with Ralph on this one.  The biologists know what they are doing.  If they didn't, the river would not be in the great shape that it is.  Also, having fished with Ralph, I can assure you he is probably be the last person to need salmon eggs.  He can fish rings around most people.  If anybody feels like it is unethical to fish spawning areas fish somewhere else.  We all need to remember keeping the locals happy is always important,  especially when the majority of the river runs through provate property.

outdoorguy3

Quote from: absales on December 06, 2008, 16:35:57 PM
Quote from: outdoorguy3 on December 06, 2008, 15:38:44 PM
Think the locals would appreciate that loss of funds coming to the area for those months?..............I think it's best to let the biologist and the folks that have manged the river to this point do the managing.  Seems the river is doing nothing but getting better every year at this stage.  Lots of small fish in the river this year for recruitment! 

Ralph   0--0
BTW, you carry a lill jar of salmon egg juice to dip your eggs in?

jis wonderin..................................

Nah....... Al, dem jars take up too much room, and that egg juice is just too messy.  I find a dallup of tobacco juice works just as good.

Ralph   0--0

Discomidge

Why just protect the upper section?  Fish spawn from the lake to the top and why is there never any mention of protecting the rainbows that typically spawn in the Spring.  Lots of money and time went into studying the river to determine the prime areas that should be closed, with the rest remaining open and showing no detrimental effects.
IMO, any damage done occurs after the spawn by careless wading damaging eggs and fry before they hatch and leave the gravel.

Quote from: sageinhand on December 05, 2008, 19:00:48 PMOne of my best friends says "catch a big one in the summer, then you've earned your braggin' rights." These fish are so vulnerable right now, lets give'em a break.  Just one opinion.

Kinda like shoot a trophy buck in the early Summer instead of the rut, or a big gobbler in the Fall instead of Spring struttin' season ;D

Kim 8)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login