News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fishing Shad

Started by dnakamoto, December 03, 2008, 20:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnakamoto

Does anyone on here fish for Shad on the Neuse close to Raleigh or the Cape Fear close to Fayetteville?  If so do you have any recommendations...

rockroller

I don't fish those waters, but do fish the Potomac for shad in the spring.  If you are looking for broader suggestions about flies, tackle, tactics and the like, shoot me a pm.  I don't want to hijack the thread if you're looking for information about that area.

halljd3

I'd like to hear some suggestions on fly selection, tackle, tactics etc for shad.  I'm in Richmond, Va...and we have a pretty decent shad run on the James River. At least that's what i've read, so i'd like to check it out next year.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: halljd3 on December 18, 2008, 17:26:13 PM
I'd like to hear some suggestions on fly selection, tackle, tactics etc for shad.  I'm in Richmond, Va...and we have a pretty decent shad run on the James River. At least that's what i've read, so i'd like to check it out next year.

Shad Darts, 7 - 8 wt sink tip .... they hold in eddies and behind structure during the day -- run up at night and like to eat the fly on the swing.... 
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

halljd3

Awesome!... thanks you very much for the help sir!  i look forward to trying to catch some shad here in the city, and i will try not to get shot while fishing in downtown richmond!  i've come pretty close to getting jacked up a couple of times already, makes you wanna start carrying a hand gun to the river.

croaker

Quote from: halljd3 on December 18, 2008, 17:26:13 PM

hall,

Send me yer snailer and I'll mail you one of the "unnamed Shad Flys"
that have worked down here in GA and in some places up north.

I'm gonna start tryin' the Shad in a few weeks.

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

slickrocktom

fish the area you asking about.  try clousers with pink and white