News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SOHO weekend fishing

Started by troutphisher, November 29, 2008, 22:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the soho this weekend with Discomidge, outdoorguy3, Woollybugger, JT, and Mstash.
I met Kim and Ralph, Friday around 9:30am on the river, Kim and Ralph had already been on the water since daybreak. The weather Friday was unseasonably warm, and overcast. It was a prefect day for a BWO hatch.

I started fishing a run up stream from Kim, I put on a size 20 black zebra midge and dropped a size 20 bwo emerger about 10" off the first fly. I was soon into some nice browns and Kim came over to snap a pic of one that was putting up a good fight. Kim worked a riffle section and managed a few nice fish.

Later we moved down river to catch up with Ralph, and he was having a blast catching browns and rainbows in a long riffle section. Ralph was beating up some fish. Kim and I watched in the peanut gallery....he he he.

Ralph Finlay called it a day when it got to dark to see the water.

Saturday, I made it up to the river around 11:00am after I called Woolly to find out if he made it up. The weather was a little cooler, and it called for rain. It rained most of the day, but the fishing was great.

I met up with the crew and we started fishing different sections of the river. This time I wanted to try a fly that Ralph gave me, it was a size 22 juju bead midge. It looked like a very good midge pattern, and it worked  well in both the riffles and the slack water.

Kim was fishing a riffle section just above me, when I noticed his rod bent hard, and drag being torn from his reel. I walked up stream to lend a hand, it was a nice brown fighting hard to stay in the fast current.
Kim Finlay got into the net and it was a big male, scared from battle, but really nice deep colors.

Ralph was fishing just upstream, and hooked into a nice big brown, but some guide who tried to muscle in on the run, that already had our crew fishing it, thought he would give Ralph a hand, but instead Capitan Ahab harpooned his net into the fish and broke it off. It was really disappointing to see.

Woolly was fishing the head of the run and putting some sore lips on some nice browns. Mstash was fishing just opposite of Keith and was having a good day, hooking up with several fish.

Just before dark, I was making my way back down stream to join the crew, and I saw Woolly fighting a big fish. When I got over to Mstash, Kim and Keith, I saw the fish and took a quick picture. It was a big brown that taped at 24". The colors were deep golden and the jaw was hooked. It was an awesome fish.

It was another good day on the water, with good folks. We ended the day with a beer and jokes. Everyone caught some nice fish, and had fun.

Ralph had some Shiner bocks, than went down smooth......

Here are some pic's of the weekend so far.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flyman

WOW! Looks like everyone had a good one. That is a beast WB is holding :o BTW- you all suck ;D
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Woolly Bugger

Looks like the "Guide" you mentioned 1.) has registered for an account here and 2.) works or worked at Foscoe http://www.foscoefishing.com/fishingreport.html Tim Homcomb is his name.

He is also listed on TN TU - http://www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH/b.3411487/k.ED6D/Tennessee.htm

Watauga River Lodge & Outfitter (L,O)
Tim Holcomb
643 Smalling Rd
Watauga, TN 37694
(828) 260-5782
tim@wataugariverlodge.com
www.wataugariverlodge.com
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 30, 2008, 00:16:21 AM
Looks like the "Guide" you mentioned 1.) has registered for an account here and 2.) works or worked at Foscoe http://www.foscoefishing.com/fishingreport.html Tim Homcomb is his name.

He is also listed on TN TU - http://www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH/b.3411487/k.ED6D/Tennessee.htm

Watauga River Lodge & Outfitter (L,O)
Tim Holcomb
643 Smalling Rd
Watauga, TN 37694
(828) 260-5782
tim@wataugariverlodge.com
www.wataugariverlodge.com

I believe, thats the guide, he said his name was Holcomb. Captain Ahab should change species and guide for whales.
He's got a hell of a harpoon arm, and obviously needs a larger target for his prey.

Thar she blows mates..... ready the harpoons!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Fire-Fly

Thats one of the weekends that you remember for ever, nice post TP thanks. 0--0

Tim Holcomb

It seems I am the Captain Ahab of which you speak. Different people have different definitions of a 'fishing guide', but I am somone who has been trying to help others understand the intricacies and love of a sport that has meant so much to me. I have been guiding for around 12 years, not some rookie a-hole who hasn't ever seen a big fish. I wanted to join this forum to continue to offer my apologies.

Fishing in a group of anglers, another fisherman (not in my party) hooked a big brown and continued to fight the fish for some time without doing too much moving of the fish. After a few minutes the fish started to move down the river, and seeing an opportunity to try to net the fish, I ran for the fish, tried to get the net on him, and unfortunately he broke off. At the time, I was not really thinking of anything except for trying to be helpful to the fish and the angler. The fish I am speaking of was a spawning male in a spawning run, and personally I try to be very aggressive in landing the spawners, thus ensuring not to do too much harm. I won't get into fishing to the spawners cause that is far to loaded of a subject for my first post. However, again, I simply try to be very aggressive on them for the protection of the fish and the river.

The other angler who lost the fish was obviously very pissed and I tried to offer my apologies and they did not seem to be greated to well. I certainly have learned my lesson, not everyone wants help, especially my help, and if you are going to offer help, first ask and then proceed to help. I do want to say that I did not simply and recklessly knock the fish of the line with the net, I am a farily experienced guide with a net having many years of guiding experience and having been fortunate enough to guide in Alaska, I am a competent, maybe too aggressive netter.
If you are the angler I am speaking of, please write back so I can continue to offer my apologies. Like I said, I have learned my lesson and look at this as a learning opportunity.

Once again, I am trully sorry. I do assume that as much time as ya'll spent in that hole, you where able to hook and land many other fish just like the one you lost around me.
And again, my sincere apologies.

edited for paragraph format - wb

River Man

Great report,

It looks like I missed a bunch of fun...glad you guys had a great weekend.  Sorry you lost the big fish Ralph but can assure you that Tim is one of the good guys.

River Man

Woolly Bugger

I awoke @ 3:38 and was on the road by 3:55, headed over the mountains to a Tennessee tailwater.  Even though parts of the river are closed for spawning, there is still a lot of open water and I thought that the cold and rain would keep a few fishermen at home. I drove into Bluff City before dawn and stopped in at the local cafĂ© for a hearty breakfast.

I was about 38 degrees but it felt much colder to me, I don't' know if that was the dampness from the river or my new haircut. I drove off to a favorite spot thinking that I'd be the first one on the river, but to my dismay there were several vehicles already parked there that  I didn't recognize.  I moved on down and layered up and started fishing a deep run.  I manages to catch a few smaller rainbows and then I got a  call from Karl, he was on the way up and told me that the rest of the gang was up at the first location that I had tried.  I found Ralph, JT, Mstash and Discomidge.

I was fishing a BOW pattern as a dropper below a rabbit foot emerger and drifting though a big hole or small pool, whatever you want to call it. I wasn't getting and hits but occasionally fish would rise in a splashy manner  chasing after some emerging bug. I thought about going to a dry pattern but the rises were too sporadic.  Patience paid off when I hooked into a good fish, that fought hard, putting a good bend into the Limestone bamboo rod. It filled the net and I'm estimating that it measured between 18 and 20 inches. This beautiful fish was full in full spawning colors that rival any other natural display.

I walked back down to my friends and discovered them sitting on the bank eating lunch. One of them made a run to the store and brought back some hamburgers. The smell drifted across the river and I made me hungry, but since they didn't get one for me, I stepped into their run and proceeded to fish.  I caught a half dozen rainbows and foulhooked a couple of browns.  Then the rain started.

Several of us set up on the run and others walked to different spots on the river. I usually fish 6x fluorocarbon on this river and that's all that I had in my vest. I had one large brown on for a while and was working the fish when he turned on the afterburners and broke me off. After breaking off on a couple of nice browns I realized that I would need a heavier tippet to land these fish.  But before I could leave the river, around 4:00 2 or 3 spinners come down and find some water near us but don't fish our run I didn't want to give up my spot for fear of losing it.  I hooked a really nice brown, it looked like it could have gone 30" but it just rolled and the #18 bwo popped out of it's jaw. I let out an "Oh, my God!"

Shortly after a "guide" marched straight down with 2 clients and sets them up DIRECTLY across from Ralph and I. His client is now drifting through the same current seam. Then Ralph hooks into a large fish, which thumps and holds tight to the bottom. The guide then offered advice to Ralph on how to play the fish.

Ralph has a solid hook up with the fish, he's playing it cautiously and it has made a run to the tail of the pool and is holding there in front of the rock. Ralph is working the fish waiting to either walk on down of see if the fish will run up. This fish is nowhere near being ready for the net. When all of a sudden the "guide", without warning or solicitation runs into the river, splashing and makes a desperate mad dash to scoop up the fish. All of the commotion got the fish moving and we're sure that the misplaced netting attempt broke the fish off.  Ralph just reeled in, turned his back to the "guide" and checked his tippet.  I said to the "guide", "I've never seen anything like that." He started to apologize, saying he was just trying to help the fish and the angler. He went on and on before Ralph finally said to "let it go." He apologized once again, "I'm sorry...." To which Ralph retorted, "You sure are!"  I asked him his name. "Tim" he replied. "What's you last name?" "Tim Holcomb, sir" "Are you from Tennessee?" "No, I'm from North Carolina, where are you guys from?" "We're from North Carolina too."

The guide finally left and I went and got my tippet spools and re-rigged with my last bwo pattern. The light was fading and a cold chill was in the air. The joke of the day was that my wife had asked if I was coming back tonight, to which I replied, "Not if the weather is bad." All during the rainy afternoon, I kept commenting on how "bad" the weather was getting. When my friends asked if I was spending the night, I replied, "I don't know, things can change in a few minutes." 

I got a hit and hooked into a solid fish, it thumped on the bottom and I wasn't sure how big it was, and then it just zipped out across the run. I worked the fish on the bamboo and brought it in close but still couldn't see its full size. Then it ran back out into the current and headed off downstream 40 or 50 feet. I started walking the bank as the fish stopped its run. Then I was reeling madly, wishing I had filled the CFO with 100 yards of backing, as the fish ran straight at me. I work the fish for a while and made a couple of net attempts. Finally I got the fish in close to the net and two things happened, one the fish didn't like me getting that close, so it took off and two, I needed more net!  I hollered back up to my friends, "which one of you assholes is going to help net this fish!"

Kim came done and on the second or third attempt the fish was in the bag. We took a few pictures, measured the fish at 24+ inches. The fish lay in the current for a while and I took a couple of underwater shots before he swam off in a sudden burst of speed.

What a way to end the day. We all headed back up to share a beer and tell some tales. I had a Scarecrow stashed in my cooler and the rest had some Shiner beer.

Thanks to Ralph, Rick, Karl and Kim for a great day on the river.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutphisher

I was just looking at the pic again. The colors were awesome. That was one of the highlights of the trip, seeing some one catch a big fish on a small fly! The holy one once told me, that fishing small fly's to big fish was the most fun. I believe this to be true.

The other highlight of the trip was meeting everyone, but especially Kim....he he he he.

I am walking across the river, and I see this guy sitting on a log, (taking a break) and I start to walk past him.
Kim looks at me and says....are you Karl?.....I reply.... depends on who's asking...LOL...I extend my hand and Kim says, do you know who I am?....I said sure, your Kim.

The look on Kim's face was priceless....he he he he.

Gotcha!

TP

Fuck...I'm still laughing.......

benflyfishn

Nice fish WB!  ;hb  Love the colors on them browns. Nothing keeps your mind off the bad weather like the pull on the rod! oh, you guys suck!
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on November 30, 2008, 14:53:20 PM
I was just looking at the pic again. The colors were awesome. That was one of the highlights of the trip, seeing some one catch a big fish on a small fly! The holy one once told me, that fishing small fly's to big fish was the most fun. I believe this to be true.

The other highlight of the trip was meeting everyone, but especially Kim....he he he he.

I am walking across the river, and I see this guy sitting on a log, (taking a break) and I start to walk past him.
Kim looks at me and says....are you Karl?.....I reply.... depends on who's asking...LOL...I extend my hand and Kim says, do you know who I am?....I said sure, your Kim.

The look on Kim's face was priceless....he he he he.

Gotcha!

TP

Fuck...I'm still laughing.......

How did you know it was Kim? 'Cause he was sitting on a log instead of fishing?
me -There's a season?

Tim Holcomb

Once again to all and escpecially to Ralph. I want to offer my sincere apologies. Although not well thought out, all I was trying to do was offer some help, as someone else on this thread said, it is terribly difficult to land a large brown without help, and though it might not have seemed that way, I have landed tons of big browns and many others over the years, and I certainly had the largest net in the river. I carry such a large net for one reason, to be able to land incredibly large trout in short time frames.
To those who have offered support on this topic, it is greatly appreciated.
To those who I pissed off yesterday, I continue to offer my sincere apologies.

As for 'muscling' in on the run, when I arrived there was close to eight anglers fishing one run, including several bait fisherman, and sure, I should have gone on, but I wanted to try to catch a big fish for my clients and we had 30 more minutes of fishing. On certain rivers and in certain places, stream etiquette goes by the wayside, elbow to elbow fishing as I call it.
If I offended or pissed you guys off by 'muscling in'- again I am sorry.
I appreicate everyone taking the time to listen and to respond, and I will continue to look at this as a learning lesson.
Thanks Tim

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Tim Holcomb on November 30, 2008, 15:32:24 PM

As for 'muscling' in on the run, when I arrived there was close to eight anglers fishing one run, including several bait fisherman, and sure, I should have gone on, but I wanted to try to catch a big fish for my clients and we had 30 more minutes of fishing. On certain rivers and in certain places, stream etiquette goes by the wayside, elbow to elbow fishing as I call it.

The spinners had enough class to move up and down from us. As far as stream etiquette goes, you should set an example and teach your clients.You e-mail, troutpimp@yahoo.com says it all.
me -There's a season?

Discomidge

Good weekend fishing with good friends 0--0...even though one may be a douche or plays one on the interwebs hehehehe  ::)

One of Phish's  phish...that's a killer nimp TP

Can't wait ta do it again.

Kim 8)

outdoorguy3

Well, since everyone else has chimed in I reckon it's my turn....eh.  First off, Tim, apology accepted.  Saying that, let me explain again, like I did on the river, why I was so upset.  Not at loosing the fish, sure it was tough to loose the fish in the manner it was lost.  The real reason I was upset was the way you barged in on the run.  You see, the day before, Kim and I got to the river around 6:30 and there was already three guys down in that section of the river, with only one fisherman actually close to the particular run everyone is talking about.  I fished up stream and then worked my way down stream to a vantage point where I could see what they were doing and if they were catching any fish.  They were not catching any fish at all and they left around 9:00.  I walked down the river and started to fish water they hadn't fished all morning trying to let the fish I wanted to target settle down and check out the water just down stream. 

I hear a vehicle door shut and look up to the road and see your truck.  So, I start working my way back up river to get to the the area I wanted to fish.  Tim, you leave your clients at the truck and hustle down to the river in your street clothes with rod in hand. When I got to you, you say something to me, and I say excuse me, because I didn't hear what you said.  You say, "How bout giving us some room".  I wanted to reply, who was here first but didn't.  I could have been an A** and just gone ahead and fished too.   You know I never fished that area of the river after you spoke to me. I just stood there for a long time an watched before moving quietly back up stream.

You didn't ask which way I was fishing, do you mind if we fish this side, nothing lie that at all, all you said was "catch any big ones?" 
Then, you had to take your shoes and socks off and pull your pants up to your knees to net the first few fish your clients caught.  I reckon your feet and legs got cold, because you left your clients on the river to fend for themselves and you went up to your truck to put your waders on.

Now, as far as being worried about the spawning fish,  when your client finally did catch a fish worthy of a picture you spent so much time on the bank with that fish that the other guys I was with thought you guys were eating lunch! 

I waited until you left and then did go down stream and fish where I wanted to fish when you came down and saved the run for your clients.
The next morning, Rick and I made sure we got there early enough so that we didn't have to worry about somebody else being there first.  Kim and Dennis fished else where.  As the day went on Kim and Dennis as well as JT came to that section of the river and joined us.

So, you see why someone might be upset? When the very next day you come down and barge in on several people already on the river.  You see, I have had to put up with combat fishing myself, and prefer not too.  The first day we came across each other, if I had stayed that would not have been combat fishing and it's clear you didn't want anyone else on that section of the river....yet the next day combat fishing is alright if it suits you.

Just explaining my side.  If Blake says your one of the good ones then you must be.  I hope to meet you sometime under different circumstances.  I'm sure your a great guy and a good guide too.  As I told you on the river when I did finally speak after the netting episode, common courtesy goes a long way.  Hope to see you on the river sometime.

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!