Flyrod size for Smallmouth

Started by Oldman, November 23, 2008, 09:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I have a 6 wt 8.5'. Was thinking maybe a 9' 8wt with fighting butt would help me catch the big uns like Kim and Marty get. ;D

Question for yall... What would be the best rod? Size and wt not make.

walt

oldie, i like a 6wt for smallies. an 8 wt will allow you to toss larger flies in windier conditions, and technically provide better butt strength for theoretical larger fish.... but imho, a 6wt will work just fine.

the largest smallie i ever caught was a 5lb+ monster up on penns creek..... slt 4wt., size 12 wooly bugger.

wally....
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Oldman

Walt, Thats was what I was thinking more of. Big flies in windy conditions.

Kieth, a 7'11" rod seems to me to be rather difficult to cast from a toon compared to a 9 or 9.5'. What yall think.

I am gearing up for June. Cant wait. Thanks.

Beetle

I use a 9' 7 wt but you should be fine with a 6 wt.
Definitely get a 9' rod.  There's very little exit strategy on anything shorter.

Woolly Bugger

I use a 9' rod also... but i've heard those sage bass rods are the tits!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 23, 2008, 22:01:31 PM
I use a 9' rod also... but i've heard those sage bass rods are the tits!

wb, they are casting machines..... but short. from a toon i'd rather toss a nine footer, from a boat, the sage bass rods are pretty damn good. there's a less expensive redington "copy" available now... hell thar might even be one or two over in the rod rack  ???

long weekend wally...
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

rockroller

I use a 9' 6-weight and a 9' 8-weight.  In low water with smaller flies (size 6 or so) I like the 6-weight.  But the guys at the local fly shop talked me into an 8 when I was in doubt and assured me I would end up using it far more than I thought.  They have been right.  For the nicer smallies, I like throwing at least size 2 poppers, deceivers and clousers.  That's a lot of bug for the 6-weight.  I've done it and it's just too much work.  With the 8-weight I can get the distance and accuracy with those bigger bugs.  Almost all of my smallmouth fishing is done on the Potomac, though.  Maybe in waters smaller than the Potomac, the 6 would be fine with even the big bugs.

streamer

Although I target my SM bass fishing to big fish, my standard smallie rod is a 8'6"/ 6 wt. St. Croix Legend Ultra. I used to subscribe to the muscle theory of the 8 wt., and still fish it when necessary (long casts, hefty Clousers, etc.) but I've found that the fast action 6 wt. gives me enough ass in the rod to make 90% of the casts I need to make, and plenty of bigger fish fighting capability. Plus I've adopted the Harry Murray theory that If I need to cast more than about 40', I need to move closer to the fish.

There's my $.02 worth.
Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

kylemc

Quote from: rockroller on November 24, 2008, 08:45:47 AM
I use a 9' 6-weight and a 9' 8-weight.  In low water with smaller flies (size 6 or so) I like the 6-weight.  But the guys at the local fly shop talked me into an 8 when I was in doubt and assured me I would end up using it far more than I thought.  They have been right.  For the nicer smallies, I like throwing at least size 2 poppers, deceivers and clousers.  That's a lot of bug for the 6-weight.  I've done it and it's just too much work.  With the 8-weight I can get the distance and accuracy with those bigger bugs.  Almost all of my smallmouth fishing is done on the Potomac, though.  Maybe in waters smaller than the Potomac, the 6 would be fine with even the big bugs.

I do the same thing..gurglars,poppers and small stuff with the 6wt. big stuff with the 8wt. i also use the 8wt with sinking line a fair amount with smallies and tailwater generation. When smallie fishing I have both in the boat.

Oldman

Now it sounds like I need two rods. I told my wife that and she said, "What for, you can only throw one". Now I have a justifiable reason for a new Christmas present.

Reel choice will be come birthday time. (hers of course) ;D

puddlejockey

Dont overlook a 7wt as a good balance between the two!

I've got a 10' 7wt , with Rio Clouser line, that's perfect for smallies and big flies in the wind, but still plays a 12" fish nicely.  The extra length is great for mending from a canoe.

I actually usually fish my 9" 6  now that I think about it.....the tradeoff for tougher casting is worth it when playing the fish. But then I rarely throw anything bigger than a 4 slider, with an occasional sz 2 if Im feelin' froggy.

P.A.T.H. People Against Tree Hugging. "Just because they can't scream, doesn't mean they like it"