A little Camping With Friends

Started by WRector, November 20, 2008, 10:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRector

So, my first fishing report wasn't the best, so I will try and be a little more creative...

Last week, a buddy of mine, recently new addition to BRFFF, Tbird4 called me and up and wanted to go camping on the Toog in SC.  After a few moments of anticipated silence to create the suspense that I may not accept, I proceeded to commence the gears spinning and realized that I had absolutely nothing planned for that Firday at work.  A resounding "you better be serious" and "I'm in" soon followed.  I promptly emailed my boss and told him that I would be absent on Friday.  He, thankfully, replied with "No Problem".  First step down, about a dozen more to go....

Just a little bit of background, for this trip...  To me, fishing the Toog is one of life's greatest pleasures.  This river offers the opportunity to get away from the black asphalt into a world that is basically untouched, except for the trash that is left behind by the bait fisherman, from earlier in the year.   o-o  My idea of fishing this river, is hiking 1-2 miles in and slowly fishing my way out.  This not only gets you away from the crowds that stay by the bridge, but also gets the blood flowing after a night of drinking  0--0  This trip usually takes around 1:30 hours from Greenville, but now being in Winston, it took right at 4 hours.  There's just some things in life that are worth doing and this was one of them!

Since this was around Wednesday, I didn't have much time to get everything together, especially since most of my crap was still in boxes from the move.  That evening I convinced my girlfriend of the plan, luckily she was shopping with her mom in Charlotte that weekend, so the coast was clear.  I proceeded to pack like a mad man, making sure not to forget anything.  I even made a list, not that it did any good.  We'll get back to that in a moment.

The next day, reports of bad weather were all over the weather stations, but I was bound and determined that this wasn't going to stop me.  I got on the road reasonably early on Friday morning after running by the grocery store for food and some cold snacks.  My heart was set on Rogue Dead Guy Ale, but blast, they were out, so I settled on some Magic Hat #9.  Not nearly the same, but still taste pretty good after a long day next to the river.  While driving I ran through everything that I was supposed to bring, just trying to occupy myself during the drive and blast, I had forgotton the rain tarps.  Promptly called up Tbird4, the unlucky son of a gun was still at work, and said that he had packed 3 and were in route with my other buddy that was already on the road.

After Four hours of interstate bliss and foggy hell coming up through Cashiers, I finally made it.  The weather was cold, but the rain had held off for most of the morning.  My other buddy and I, who had gotten there about 30 minutes before I, promply unloaded the trucks of camping gear and fishing equipment and set out to make camp.  Luckily our favorite spot on the river wasn't taken, so we set up shop.

Now, I am a minimalist when it comes to camping, but Tbird4 and my other buddy go all out.  He came complete with a monstrous 12 man tent, that proved not to be very rain worthy, but did manage to keep us dry for the weekend.  He also came complete with a queen size air mattress and enough pillows to fill up a Bed Bath and Beyond.  After 30 min. of making camp, we broke for a beer and decided to hit the water, since Tbird4 would not be able to make it till about 6:00 that evening.

[attachment=1]
The water was up and had looked as if you had strung about 100 tea bags upstream.  Don't ever think I have seen the river this color.  :o Never the less, we tied on what we knew would work and proceeded to get our line wet.  After not much luck, nymphing, my buddy tied on a black woolly bugger and managed about 3 or 4, all of pretty nice size.  I figured I would let him have his glory since it was his birthday weekend and contined hitting the seams.  We called it a day later that evening and headed back to camp to wait for Tbird4, along with his wife.  They got there about 6:30 and were not happy.  Apparently I-85 was a parking lot coming through Spartanburg.  Just about then, the bottom dropped out and continued to rain up until the next morning.  In hopes that the water would have settled down by the next morning we called it an early night and hit the sack.  There's just something about the sound of rain hitting a tent a night, I slept like a dam baby to say the least  The air matress didn't help either  ::). 

[attachment=2]
We awoke right at day break and proceded to get our gear on and head upstream after a very nice bacon egg and sausage sandwich, cooked by yours truly.  The air was cool and the fog was thick.  The water was up, but still running the color of tea, so I kept with the nymphing and managed about 20 for the day.  All fish were good size, 12-14 inches, but apparently the hatchery had given us a blessing.  We caught several bows and brooks in the 16-17 inch range and all put up a heck of a fight.  We also managed some really nice browns that are always an added bonus on this river.  There's something about the cold water and trout that gives them that extra burst of energy.

The next day we awoke to find clear Sky's and very cold weather.  About 30 degrees and the wind blowing 10-15 mph.  Made for one very cold day on the river.  However, the river was running clearer, and I knew this was going to be a good day.  Made the 2 mile trip up river, luckily we got up above and 6 guys that had come in a daylight, and got to my favorite honey hole.  I have been fishing my entire life, but there was something about that morning.  I ended up with 4 fish on the first four cast and then yielded the hole to Tbird4 who managed 3 himself.  After he fished the hole for a short stint, I worked up stream of him back down to the hole and managed a really nice 17" bow.  They sure do know how to get the blood flowing.  I need it, my hands were like icicles.

[attachment=3]
[attachment=4]
The three of us compadres worked downstream to another really good run.  A slow start here provided for some fast action once the sunlight made its way into the canyon.  No trout were seen taking anything from the surface so we all stayed under with double rig nymphs and of course my buddy with his black woolly bugger.  We managed three triples out of that hole!!!   ;hb  What a day!

[attachment=5]
We headed back early and broke down camp.  Said our goodbyes and headed home.  What a weekend!  All in all I think we managed 40-50 fish to hand, which was pretty good considering the river had spiked 1 foot above what it had been running earlier in the week while we were there.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

tbird4

First I would like to say on my behalf Wrector, that I brought all that stuff so the wife would be content.  Enough about the wife, last weekend got my blood boiling.  Water wasn't normal to say the least, but produced good fish.  We normally get a few brookies, but I guess the fishing gods passed us over.  Overall great weekend.  0--0

Has anyone fished south mountain lately? I thought about heading up this weekend sometime.

Woolly Bugger

It doesn't get much better, well maybe bigger pictures would help...(640 x 480)

sounds like a great trip..
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

WRector

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 20, 2008, 14:19:29 PM

Yeah, I will see if I can modify them this evening.  Still haven't quite figured it out yet.  I just recently got a Mac and am still getting use to it.

benflyfishn

trip with good friends can't be beat. 0--0
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

WRector

Quote from: WRector on November 20, 2008, 14:28:22 PM

Yeah, I will see if I can modify them this evening.  Still haven't quite figured it out yet.  I just recently got a Mac and am still getting use to it.

For the older wise men out there, I have reloaded the pictures to a reasonable size since Woolly was tired of squinting  ;)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: WRector on November 20, 2008, 21:47:52 PM
Quote from: WRector on November 20, 2008, 14:28:22 PM

For the older wise men out there, I have reloaded the pictures to a reasonable size since Woolly was tired of squinting  ;)

mo better!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

Nice report guys.   0--0   Glad to see we're finally getting some rain.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Al

In my opinion it was an excellent report - good photos also (I didn't see the originals but right now they are fine).

Sharing with good friends make it so much better.

TROUTMASTER3000

Im goin down to SC soon... Is it worth bringin a rod to hit up this stream if I only have a couple hours to fish it... or is it more of an all day or nothing river??
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

WRector

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on November 23, 2008, 14:37:24 PM
Im goin down to SC soon... Is it worth bringin a rod to hit up this stream if I only have a couple hours to fish it... or is it more of an all day or nothing river??

I'd say you'd need at least half a day to enjoy yourself.  You could possibly fish the lower holes and come out with a few, but if you want to make it back in a ways, a couple of hours just isn't long enough.  Especially if you catch it right  ;)  PM me if you need more details.

TROUTMASTER3000

okay thanks.  Well ill take your advice and not bring a rod.  But if i need anything ill ask.. Nice Report! :j
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES