News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wychwood River!

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 17, 2008, 21:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Sorry, I had to work 5 days in a row last week! Yeah, yeah I know, you just live for the Monday Fishing Reports... well here it goes..

The weatherman don't know squat!  I checked them all -- Mostly sunny and a high of 53 with winds 7 - 13 mph.. Okay that's pretty decent, and I planned to take a newb up to the stream but last minute conflicts screwed that up, anyway I go to the stream by 9:15 and the sun was going to peak over the ridge by 10 to add a little warmth to the day. I get on the water and there ain't shit happening -- no midges -- nada, not a fish to be seen rising or flashing ... I flailed away for a while and tried various combos of soft hackle and midges but didn't even get a hint of interest. I was beginning to smell a skunk, but then the little bastards started rising to a #32 cream midge. I rigged up with a primo imitation and proceeded to put 'em down. I was about balls deep in the stream and it was cold, I should have put the fleece on. The damn wind was whipping downstream and the clouds were getting thicker by the minute, if I didn't know better I would have thought it was about to snow. So fully rejected and neglected I popped the top on the stream chilled Scarecrow. It foamed up and over into the river, so I thought that might change my luck.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

But no. The pint of beer did little to warm me up so I left the river and headed off to another spot downstream.

I managed a few rainbows, they were planters and I gave up in short order and headed off to yet another part of the stream.

The temp didn't make it out of the 30's in the morning and the high "in town" was about 45.

I had to wade good bit to get to this new, to me, part of the river.a
It was a good deep and fast run with lopsided boulders for difficult wading. The scenery was less that spectacular but the water promised unseen monsters.

Moving on up I found a landing net in good condition, nothing fancy but functional. I worked my way up the run and caught this fellow. Making my day, as this is the largest wild brown trout that I've ever caught on this stream.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

troutphisher

Nice work! and oh ya...YOU SUCK!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

You almost suck 8) I say almost cause I know standing in ice water up to the boys ain't no picnic. You should have saved the beer and taken a thermos of coffee ;D I've heard rumors that that beer may actually be Chuck Norris' urine bottled anyway ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Fire-Fly

Nice day you had woolly. 0--0

Trout Chaser

That sure beat my Monday at work.   0--0

TC

kylemc