News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SOHO

Started by troutphisher, November 08, 2008, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the soho again this week. I wanted to try some new fly's, in particular small drys.
Kyle was supposed to meet me on the water, but blew me off for the second time, however he did leave a note on my windshield, that read like a mono tone kaleidoscope, it rained after he left the note.

I started fishing down river, in hopes of beating the generation. The generation called for one generator from 8:00am to 11:00am. I got on the water at 9:30am after a quick stop at Fly shop of Tennessee, to pick up some materials and chat with Eddie.

I started the day fishing a size 20 red zebra midge as the bottom fly, and a size 20 black zebra midge as the top fly. I could see fish rising for midges, and figured this would be a good option to start with.
I found a seam that fish were holding in, it was about 3ft deep, and 40 yards long. I had a blast catching rainbows and browns, about 50/50 on the colors of the fly's.

The water finally caught up to me around 12:30pm, so I headed up stream to another spot, I was hoping would be down by then. When I arrived, I saw the water was still up, but decided to fish anyways, knowing the water would soon recede. It was tough going with the generation, but I found a spot where the current was a manageable speed, and caught a couple more rainbows. Even though the fish were small 6 to 8 inches, in the swift current they felt like bricks.

The water finally came down around 1:30 and the fishing picked up. I moved to another spot of slack water and changed fly's to a size 24 bwo cdc emerger. I had a blast targeting rising, and casting just up stream of them, then watching the take. I snapped off a real mice brown, that launched itself out of the water on the take, I had the fish on line for about 3 seconds, then the rod went static.
It was still pretty cool to see a fish attack the fly like that.

I spend the rest of the day dry fly fishing and having a blast. I left when it got to dark to see the fly's, it was around 6:00pm when I got back to my car.

It was a good day on the water, and it was fun to fish small dry's.

Here  are some pic's of the day.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Fire-Fly

Nice day, i need to get back to the Soho, maybe i can meet you out there someday.

Woolly Bugger

good day on the stream, what happened to Kyle???
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ColdOnTheShoulder

Nice feesh, those SOHO browns are gorgeous! I really need to get down that way for a couple days.

River Man

I'm pretty sure I saw you out in that swift water when the water was dropping.  Glad to know it didn't take you away.

River Man

troutphisher

Did you walk behind me down to the river, then get in at the opposite bank?
Looked like you had a pretty good day too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

5xTippett

TP, River Man always has a good day on that river! :)  Trust me.

River Man

Troutphisher,

No ...that was not me.  I saw you (I think) as I was driving up from down river.....you were in some heavy current.  I put in below you and worked upstream.  I had a friend with me.  I think the guy you are talking about had a wading staff...right? I didn't recognize you because I thought you'd be with Mr. Dirt Bike.

River Man

troutphisher

Riverman,

Right, the guy fishing across from me had a wading staff, we pretty much split the river, then he moved a little down stream and worked a riffle section.

I was pretty much mid stream, in the high current, but I had a good foot hold, and I knew the path to get there. It was still difficult to stand, but manageable, I didn't end up in the drink...LOL

I'll be back in the next couple of days, as the water in my home streams is all but dried up.

kylemc

Tp, I had 2 guys with me and saw a few more where you were so we went abotu a mile up from you. The note was telling you where we were. I didn't "blow you off" it just would have been too many for that section.  next time I promise :-[

oh yeah we had a good day too 0--0

river man, I saw your truck but I thought you were in NC.

troutphisher

Kyle,

I plan on hitting the soho again Wednesday and Thursday this week. The weather is calling for a chance of rain, but I still plan to fish.

kylemc

I can be there Wednesday but it will be in the afternoon. I have work in Kingsport but can get done around 1:00 or so.

Rod Champion

Stop by and see us guys. You don't have to buy anything.
Matt and I will be there. Come see us.
Rod
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rod Champion on November 10, 2008, 17:58:35 PM
Stop by and see us guys. You don't have to buy anything.
Matt and I will be there. Come see us.
Rod

you've never fished with fish... he arrives with waders on and doesn't stop till there is no more light...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Rod,

C-man (chuck) and I are going to fish tomorrow, we might stop in some time during the day.