News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bad Elf

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 07, 2008, 16:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I was going to fish the lower part of the river, but when I checked the generation schedule I realized that I would have to fish up closer to the dam. The release stopped at 8:00 am and I thought that the water would be down when I arrived streamside at 9:30. The water was still up and flowing strong through the slicks and completely covering the riffles I usually fish. I stashed the Bad Elf in a deep pocket near the bank to chill and tied on a flymph to toss into the slowly receding waters.

Nothing grabbed the fly and then I spotted little midges and risers. The fish were mostly concentrated on the far bank where the current was slack and the water was also covered by overhanging branches. I tied on an emerger midge and began to work out the line to cast 40 feet across the river and under the brush. Mend and mend again waiting, watching, I knew the fly would start to drag any second... and then the perfect sip,... strip and set the hook. Fish on.

The little Smith River brown felt bigger than usual but that was just from the extra flow.

It was like that for the next several hours and then the fish stopped rising regularly and I moved on downstream and nymphed for a while. I caught a couple more and then the Bald Elf began to call to me. I retrieved the now chilled ale and sat down in a sunny spot and enjoyed this Winter brew.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Wooly, you are heading up to where I like to fish, now. :)  I like the upper stretch.  I went Wednesday and fished midges.  I caught fish wherever I saw them sipping on top.  I caught one a little over 12 inches and the rest were between somewhat small and downright little.  Man, you are lucky to live as close as you do.  You caught some pretty fish.  Good job.  Was anybody else fishing?

Woolly Bugger

saw a guy spinning downtown on the way up and then there were a few at the lower end when I left, but nobody where I was... ;)
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fire-Fly

Nice report, and by the way gas this evening is now down to $1.99 here near the smith ;hb

ColdOnTheShoulder

That first brown is gorgeous! Nice report, we're at $1.89 now. Next week i think I'll do two days salt and a day out near WV.

Fire-Fly

Quote from: ColdOnTheShoulder on November 07, 2008, 20:59:08 PM
That first brown is gorgeous! Nice report, we're at $1.89 now. Next week i think I'll do two days salt and a day out near WV.
Amen i love some WV fishin! ;hb

Service Tech

Looks like alot of fun Woolly. Could you post the pattern for that fly you posted?
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Service Tech on November 07, 2008, 23:22:31 PM
Looks like alot of fun Woolly. Could you post the pattern for that fly you posted?

that's a flymph tied by Trout Maharishi
me -There's a season?

Service Tech

Well duh, I have one of those from the swap. But still, T.M., can you post the pattern please?
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.