News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Soho

Started by troutphisher, November 02, 2008, 21:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the soho today. I wanted to try out the new Limestone bamboo rod on larger water.
I arrived on the river at 8:30am and started to fish a section down stream. As of November 1st, two sections of the river are closed for spawning. They will reopen February 1st.

I started the day fishing a black zebra midge size 18, and dropped a size 20 bwo emerger off the first fly around 12". I wanted to fish a section with slow water, so I could get long casts.

The rod has no problem throwing a double rig and indicator 50ft. It easily handled all the line out and kept it on the air. It has a medium fast action in my opinion, but it will launch some line.

The rod is 8-1/2ft 4-1/2oz rated for a 6 line. I put on a Cortland 555 WF5 line and it performed well.
The hook set is a little faster then I am used to, but I managed to have fun catching rainbows and browns in this section.

I moved to another spot that is a large riffle, that has several different seams and current speeds.
I wanted to try mending the line over several different current speeds, to see how ell it mends.
The rod did very well, I was able to fish across 4 seams and get a good drift.

I tried roll casting th his rod in both slack water and some faster runs, the rod really roll casts great.
It had the power to create a smooth transition loop.

Around 3:30 pm, I moved up river to another spot, hoping to get some dry fly fishing in and some wet fly fishing. I was not disappointed, when I got to the spot I could see fish rising, and there was a sulphur hatch on, it was heavy, but the fish were taking them. I had fun catching more rainbows and brown, with long casts around 50 ft. I was surprised at the hook set power at that distance.
I could still set the hook with twitch of the rod.

Later in the afternoon, after the fish stooped rising, I switched to wet fly fish a size 18 ptn.
This is where the rod really shines in my opinion. With the casting distances you can cover a lot of water, and the rod was sensitive enough to detect the subtle takes even at long distance.

This is no doubt a big water rod, and it will become my favorite rod on this river.
I have a Madison rod in the same configuration, length rod weight and line weight, but this rod seams to cast better, maybe it's just in my head, but I really like the feel of this rod. It's like putting on an old hat, or a well worn pair of shoes, it just fits good.

I will post some some pic's later....I forgot to charge the camera battery, and it went dead on the water.

All in all it was a good day on the water, except for a slight mishap. I lost my fly box.
It had well over a 100 flies, all good flies for the soho.....damn !!!!!

Looks like I'll be tyeing fly's the rest of the week to make up for the lose....

Edit:
Those rabbit chargers are quick!
Here are some ic's of the day[attachment=1]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on November 02, 2008, 21:44:25 PM

All in all it was a good day on the water, except for a slight mishap. I lost my fly box.
It had well over a 100 flies, all good flies for the soho.....damn !!!!!

I hate that when it happens.... I've lost a number of "full" boxes ... I feel your pain.... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

It still sucks the big wazzooo......

I know exactly how it happened too, I bend down to release a fish, and the box slipped out of my vest pocket. I always zip the pocket back up, or at least try too. I can picture the fly box slowly drifting away from me down stream......... :'(

I gota get back to tieying.....

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

kylemc

Hey TP, I was there Sunday too...The sulpher hatch was tits 0--0

Beetle

Don't feel bad TP.  A few years ago I was turkey hunting on the Pamunkey River, stepped over a large tributary and promptly dunked a very expensive Motorola radio and some expensive accessories.  This wasn't one of those kidde walkie talkies that you get from Bass Pro either.  I had to order another one with specific coding, etc and it cost me about $800.    8@S

troutphisher

I am about half way done with tyeing, about 60 flies so I am covered for this weeks fishing!

kylemc

Quote from: troutphisher on November 04, 2008, 08:56:07 AM
I am about half way done with tyeing, about 60 flies so I am covered for this weeks fishing!

may hit the SoHo tomorrow...you game?

Gofisher

Great report on the rod. Glad the old fart didn't sell you a lemon... >:D
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

suck you do, all of youse guys!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Quote from: kylemc on November 04, 2008, 09:12:47 AM
Quote from: troutphisher on November 04, 2008, 08:56:07 AM

may hit the SoHo tomorrow...you game?

Check your PM

troutphisher

Finally finished the flies, I now have 160 new flies.

Kyle,
See ya tomorrow on the river. I'll be there around 9:30am, after I stop at Eddies and pick up some hooks and hackle.

Trout Maharishi

160 flies? How long you gonna be over there a month ///?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

You can never have to many flies on the Soho....he he he.

Besides, I might have to do a little horse trading with Kyle, to show me his secrete spots.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: troutphisher on November 06, 2008, 21:21:23 PM
You can never have to many flies on the Soho....he he he.

Besides, I might have to do a little horse trading with Kyle, to show me his secrete spots.

What? he gonna take you to the bootlegger's house, the chop shop, or the opium den? ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher