News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River Question

Started by troutrus, November 05, 2008, 17:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

I fished the Smith for a few hours Sat afternoon. First time I'd been there in a while. Fished in the lower spec regs out of the Rosemont parking area. Second cast produced a 14" Brown on a 16 PT nymph. Fished had beautiful coloration, but was one of the skinniest I've ever caught up there. Went on to catch 6 additional browns that averaged about 6". I also caught two Rainbows that were about 4-5" long. I would assume that they were wild fish. Anyone else fishing the Smith seen any Rainbows that size, or any Rainbows that for some reason you felt might be stream bred?

Just curious.

outdoorguy3

Troutrus,

When I fished up there on a regular basis, I would catch small bows like you mentioned.  Not every trip, but often enough to know that they were not stocked in the river that small.....unless they got mixed in with regular stockings.

A little longer than your middle finger to hand sized with perfect fins and white edges on their fins.  I always assume that there was some successful rainbow spawning.

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Woolly Bugger

I've only fished the upper section of the SR waters and have only caught brows... 8 to 10 inches and some were FAT!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Scott Smith (the biologist over the Smith) told me there is some rainbow reproduction in the river, mainly furthur upstream.  Most of them are shocked between the dam and the first bridge.  I have caught a few in the past that I was reasonably sure had never seen concrete.  If none of ya'll have ever met him or talked to him you need to.  He is an extremely nice guy and he knows his stuff.

troutphisher

The only time I have ever fished the smith, I caught a few rainbows. Some of them had parr marks on them and were in the 4 to 6" range. This leads me to believe they were river born trout.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.