News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River-- Tuesday

Started by 5xTippett, October 23, 2008, 10:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

B.J., I've asked that knothead fifty dozen times to fish the Smith, but as you know he is married to the SoHo.
He can fish with you, me, Peewee, and Ralph.  He'd rather us come to the SoHo where he can put a mass whipping on us all.  Then whip Disco and Mstash for dessert.  He is a devious man, is Mr. Blake.

River Man

Asked me 50 times :o :o.  Still waiting on my 1st invitation :( :(.  That's OK Nub.... now I've got me an official invite 0--0.

River Man

Woolly Bugger

if plans work out I'll be up there Tuesday @ 9:15 or so....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

22midge

Fished the Smith today and caught a bunch of fish on midge patterns but the surprise of the day was my first brook trout from the Smith.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

5xTippett

Blake, that does it I'm going to feed you to one of those goldfish in Raven's Fork. ;hb

Fire-Fly

Quote from: 22midge on November 09, 2008, 18:26:18 PM
Fished the Smith today and caught a bunch of fish on midge patterns but the surprise of the day was my first brook trout from the Smith.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Nice fish Peewee, the state stocked a bunch of those this year, alot of guys are catching brookies right now, you got a nice one though.

Al

I was at Southeastern Outdoors Supply (Johnny Huntley's place in Figsoro - Just north of Martinsville/Bassett) last week and a fellow came in with 2 citation size(20+) trout he had just caught up near the dam. Said he caught them on a large minnow style crank bait. Big, fat, hooked jawed. They would not be as fat had they survived a few weeks beyond stocking (Stocked last week), because I doubt they would retain that fat look on midges.

River Man

Great fish Peewee,

I bet you caught that one in the pickle salad hole  ;D ;D.

River Man

Woolly Bugger

i wish there would just try and fix the fishery instead of stocking big fish in a put and take manner...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 16, 2008, 00:12:51 AM
i wish there would just try and fix the fishery instead of stocking big fish in a put and take manner...
Amen to that, but the thing is the only way to fix the river is to improve water levels, that means the COE spending millions on replacing the generators that are more efficient as to have better water flows. We are working on it though, hopefully we will be getting some senate and congressional help after the first of the year. Cross your fingers.

5xTippett

The big fish do not hurt anything because they do not compete with the wild browns.  They don't live more than a month. Al posted earlier that it is hard to stay fat and healthy learning to eat midges. (I got curious about this and called the biologist.)  They do, however, get more people interested in the river and perhaps get the right people more inclined to help it out.  As Firefly pointed out the problem with the Smith is the antique generators.  What the heck, at the very least it lets the local boys have some fun without hurting anything.  I think we need to remember that this river does not flow through a national park and we fish a good part of it with the blessings of the locals.  Wooly don't whack me for this, because I really do care for this river and I do call the biologist every time something like this comes up.  The biologist for the Smith knows his stuff and watches over this river.

troutrus

Quote from: 5xTippett on November 17, 2008, 16:12:11 PM
The big fish do not hurt anything because they do not compete with the wild browns.  They don't live more than a month. Al posted earlier that it is hard to stay fat and healthy learning to eat midges. (I got curious about this and called the biologist.) 

Me thinks that a Char the size of the one in 22 midge's post need not compete with the little Brown's for food, as they can merely eat those little browns. I'm curious as to why you say that the big fish don't live more than a month.

22midge

why not stock the fingerling and mid-range browns the way they do in the Holston & the put and take "bows " might serve as food ;D.The farther down river from the dam you go -the more food is in the river.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Fire-Fly

Quote from: 22midge on November 17, 2008, 18:53:24 PM
why not stock the fingerling and mid-range browns the way they do in the Holston & the put and take "bows " might serve as food ;D.The farther down river from the dam you go -the more food is in the river.
Trout in The classroom put nearly 5000 brown trout fingerlings in the Smith last year.

5xTippett

I was just repeating what the biologist told me.  The biologists spend 4 years in college studying  for this, plus 2 years in graduate school.  I am not so arrogant that I think I know more than they do. The stockers could not catch  one of those browns if he tried.  They are used to eating pellets.  They are put in the river for the spin fishers and bait fishers to catch.  Very few of them survive long at all.  The problem with the Smith is not a lack of brown trout.  The problem is a lack of food for the ones in there.  Fire Fly hit the nail on the head with the generators.  That is the root of the problem.  The more publicity the river gets the more likely the politicians are to pay attention.