News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River--Saturday and Sunday

Started by 5xTippett, September 03, 2008, 12:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

Finally got to go chase some trout.  I talked to Al, Friday, and he had a pretty good morning. I got up Saturday and headed for my 3 1/2 hour drive to Martinsville.  Al told me that the water was still a little cloudy downstream so I headed on upstream.  When I started fishing there was absolutely nothing moving.  Around 3:30 I started seeing fish moving next to the banks.  Whenever I saw a fish move I would cast and get a hit.  I caught 8 in the next hour or hour and a half.  Then the fish quit moving and that was that.  Firefly stopped by my car and hollered at me in the river.  He had a pretty good afternoon, which is to be expected with BJ on this river.  I gave up and went back to my motel and watched the Clemson game.  Oops, I meant to say the Alabama game.  I got up the next morning and fished downstream for awhile with no luck.  I did not see a fish move at all.  I went on upstream and started back where I caught my fish Saturday.  It was dead untill 4:00 and then somebody turned the switch back on.  It was a repeat of the day before.  If a fish moved I cast and he hit.  I caught 9 and missed a few and had a couple of LDRs.  Then just like Saturday they turned off and everything died.  I only fished beetles and never fished anything subsurface.  If anybody else was up there I am curious if they turned on and off like that for you?  Anyway it was great to be back on this river.

Woolly Bugger

sounds like you need a supply of allieworms...?

jus sayin
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

Al beat you to the punch.  He pointed that out to me Sunday night. :)

Fin

I fished the Smith on Monday morning from 7:30 to 11:00.  I used a No.12 cricket pattern all morning and had strike after strike.  Ended up bringing 20+ to hand but had at least 30 more takes without a hookup.  I was trying to cull some of the smaller fish using the large cricket but still only managed 3-4 fish that would reach the 12" mark.  All in all, a beautiful morning and I didn't cross paths with any other fisherman until the hike back to the car.  What a way to spend a day off!!