LOS-TU-=- 2 Volunteer Opportunities

Started by teachrtec, September 26, 2008, 16:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teachrtec

Hey All! A great volunteer opportunity has come available from Matt Kulp - (Great Smoky Mountains National Park fish biologist) From Matt -  We will be sampling Cataloochee Creek this week (Friday and Saturday) if
any of your chapter is interested. We will meet around 9am on Friday morning at the iron bridge at the
entrance to the Cataloochee group campground.We will also meet at 9am on Saturday morning but at the bridge downstream on
Cataloochee Creek at the USGS gauging station.See you soon,
Matt Kulp
Fishery Biologist
Great Smoky Mountains National Park  This a fun thing to do and you will get to see the populations and hiding spots for trout on the big water in Cataloochee valley! See attached photos and these links for more info... http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1173/circ1173a/chapter10.htm http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/c1258_Dodd/html/sampling_protocols.html Please let me know if you are interested and I will let Matt know how many of us he can expect. Thanks! Richard WittLand of Sky Trout UnlimitedVice President of Conservation828.216.4410

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, We have a volunteer opportunity coming up.  I have been talking to the Stone Mountain School in Black Mountain over the last few months about taking their students fly fishing for a few hours.  This school focuses on boys with behavorial issues.  Here is the link for more information about the program.   http://www.stonemountainschool.com/ One of the rewards the students get for good grades, behavior etc is to go on field trips.  A lot of the boys enjoy doing things outdoors, especially fly fishing.  So, we have decided to help them out with a TU fishing day.  We will meet them at the big parking lot on the Dh section of Curtis Creek.  The event is scheduled for Saturday, October 4th at 9:30 am.  We will fish with the boys for 3 hours or so.  The school has some fly fishing equipment, but not much.  So, we may need to provide rods, reels, flies etc.  If anybody wants to stay around and fish together afterwards, that would be great as well.   One of the great things about this opportunity is the relationship will not be all one sided.  They are willing to help us out with any projects that we have coming up.  The boys have already been involved with stream clean-ups and love getting dirty and helping out.      If you can help out, please let me know.  My contact information is below.  Also, any questions don't hesitate ask. Thanks in advance,   PS.  I still have room for up to 6 more people.  Also, I would like to add that you don't need to be an expert in fly fishing to help out.  You are really there to make sure nobody gets hurt or lost.  In addition, if people are worried about gas, I will try and set up some sort of car pool.  Thanks Peter Perretti 828- 254-8308   peterp67@bellsouth.net
Brad  8)