News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

the quest

Started by walt, July 30, 2008, 14:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

began early thursday am as chris and i departed our better halves and morganton for flagler beach, fl. we arrived around 3pm and checked into the beach condo we had rented. the plan was to look at a few sw canal homes that afternoon but after the long tiring drive and a few chill brews, the exemplary bikini hatch down at the beach took precedence.

after we assembled our big surf casting rods and tied on some big lures, we made our way to the slapping waves of the atlantic ocean. didn't catch a thing but the scenery was exquisite. later on that eve we ate at the fish net in fb, really good fresh seafood sure does make a great meal.

friday was spent looking at way too many sw canal homes for sale in the palm coast area..... i zoned out around 4 pm and told the realtor.... no mas, no mas. we stopped at the flagler beach pier on the way home and purchased a couple of surf rigs, 3oz weights, and some frozen shrimp.

that was the ticket..... on my third or so cast into the breakers, something struck my bait. i fought the denizen hard for three or so minutes, wondering if i had hooked a ray because it didn't feel like a fish..... just dead weight. as i battled and started to make some headway, i backed up the beach and dragged my catch ashore.

it was a big tangled mess of leader, line, hooks, swivels, snap swivels, seaweed, a live sand crab, and..... a brand new pair of quicksilver shades with tags. chris and i busted out laughing as i disentangled my rig and re-baited with the crab.

after the next cast, sumthin hit the crab hard and he was gone. i re-baited with shrimp and caught a 12 or so inch whiting, which was quickly cut into strip bait as we had nearly used up all of our shrimp.

dem blues love whiting strip/cut bait. caught a bunch of em.... it was a blast just sittin' on the sand reeling in them toothy critters.

sun went down, we cleaned up and headed for daytona beach for some more great seafood, dun remember the name of  the place, but it was good.

saturday we hooked up with chris herrera of palmcoastfishing.com at the appointed boat landing at noon to catch the tailend of the incoming tide and have a shot at some megalops. we spent 5 or so hours looking for tarpon on the flats inside crescent beach and up to st. augustine. i had two shots at rollers, no takes.... they had lockjaw and were scarce... alas, that's fishing. i can highly recommend chris as a guide for the area. he possesses good knowledge of the local waters, has a great personality, and is relentless in trying to put you on fish. he asked me at least three or four times if we wanted to move into shallower areas to catch some reds but we were there for poons.... dammit!

that evening back to the beach with surf rods and brews.... more whiting, blues, and chris landed a baby blacktip shark.... pretty cool.

that pretty well sums up our adventure to fl...... chris is heading back in two weeks with his family and i'll be headed back early sept. with marie..... can't wait.

wally

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

troutphisher

Sounds like an excellent time Walt!

Great reading, thanks
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

good times there walt.... I like the "catch of the day" .... new shades.... lol

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!