News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

3wt set up

Started by troutfreak, July 16, 2008, 12:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfreak

hey guys,
I am looking for an inexpensive 3 wt rod and reel setup.  Any information on good vs evil would be helpful.  Looking to spend around $200 max for reel/rod.
Thanks,
T

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on July 16, 2008, 12:43:16 PM
hey guys,
I am looking for an inexpensive 3 wt rod and reel setup.  Any information on good vs evil would be helpful.  Looking to spend around $200 max for reel/rod.
Thanks,
T

Okuma Sierra Fly Reel
Cortland Endurance 7' 2 piece

and you might have a little change to go towards the backing and fly line....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfreak

Thank Woolly,
I will search the internet and check'em out.
TF

lepomis_mcro

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

peter p

I echo the sentiments on the Cabelas rod.  I have the 7 foot 6 inch 3 weight that is 3 pieces.  I bought it when I lived in Colorado for a few small streams I was checking out.  Now, I use it almost all the time.  And I bought another one for my better 1/2.  For the price, you can't beat it.  On the down side, I have had people break 2 tips on me while using the rod.  But, they have replaced both of them for free.   
Peter

troutfreak

Yes, the Cabelas set up looks like the deal!  Thanks, TF

rockroller

Troutfreak, don't overlook the importance of length.  If you're fishing these tiny mountain streams surrounded by undergrowth, you do NOT want an 8 1/2 foot rod!  I do love 3 weights in these mountains, but I would rather fish with a 7' 5-weight than an 8'6" 3 weight.  So the 7 footer recommended by WB sounds awfully good to me.

troutfreak

I am def. looking for 6.6 or 7.6 ft.....I have the 8.6ft Sage 5 wt and love it on bigger streams, the Bluelines are the reason that I am looking for a rod.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on July 17, 2008, 14:26:32 PM
I am def. looking for 6.6 or 7.6 ft.....I have the 8.6ft Sage 5 wt and love it on bigger streams, the Bluelines are the reason that I am looking for a rod.

Okay, your gonna be know as Cheap3wt ... when ya get yer outfit together.. we wand a full post on how to put together the perfect $200 3wt rig....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutfreak

you guys did, thanks!

troutfreak

Woolly,
I guess you can say I am cheap3wt now, check this deal out:  It's on sale...lol.

of 32-0440 CABELA'S THREE FORKS ROD & PRESTIGE PLUS COMBO 763-3/1 @ $59.99 each
    In stock-Approx delivery Wed 7/30
TF

peter p

Best $60 you will spend.  If I didn't own two already, I would think about picking up a 3rd. 

PS  1 day I brought the wrong reel with me.  So, I ended up overweighting the rod out of necessity.  Now, I do it all the time.  I need to try it with the 3 weight line again.   
Peter

Woolly Bugger

well that's pretty darn cheap, and I'll bet it handles the little trouts just fine. Just think a rod/reel combo for the price of a tank of gas.

Let us know how it fishes and post your catch.
me -There's a season?

Z-Man

Sounds like a good deal - I just ordered one myself.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

Z-Man

Well, the Prestige Plus reel arrived today.  I hope the UPS man didn't keep the rod, cause it's still in route I guess.  Reel looks and feels nice.  The line came in a separate package - not already loaded.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!