News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

as i suffer, some protective suggestions

Started by walt, July 16, 2008, 08:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

The quarterly trip to the dermatologist yesterday evoked thoughts of how to beat these devlish gremlins that insist upon taking residence upon my epidermis. I know I can't really beat them, as most of them were spawned years ago in Florida as a youngin', a happy-go-lucky sun-playin' teen, and as a lifelong fisherman. All I can really do is treat the small bastids via freezing or the larger fukwads with surgical removal..... I suffered through both procedures yesterday.... as is the case most often lately when I make my dermatological trips.

I've been lucky (kow) as I've never had a melanoma, which is the deadly form of skin cancer. But I've had hundreds and hundreds of basil and squamous cell removals.  o-o

Anyways..... from my perspective.... a few thoughts as how to control future sun damage.

1) Lather up with sunscreen, and then lather some more every two-three hours.

2) Wear a good sunscreen hat. I like the Columbia Bahama or Tamiami and the Simms Sunshield hats. Both are lightweight and offer great ear and neck protection.

3) Buffs!!!! A recent headwear product that has evolved for fishermen. I've been field testing for the last 6 or so months.... they work great in either cold or hot conditions. I've used the polar version on the New River and off the Shakleford Banks, and the regular version here on lakes and streams. They are a wonderful product and because of that, we now stock them here at the shop.

4) UPF shirts and pants. Both Columbia and Simms offer great products that will protect you from the conditions and remain comfortable to wear even in extreme heat. I personally like the Columbia Bahama long sleeve shirt and Simms 3x Pant.

5) A good light sun glove. About halfway down the Watauga this past Saturday, I dug down in my dry bag and pulled out a pair as I could feel heat building in my hands as I rowed.

I'll be turning 54 soon and have been battling this condition since my mid-twenties, it ain't fun. If I've convinced even one of you to at least think about the dangers that good ole SOL poses, and you start taking an active role in protecting yourself, well, this short message worked.  ;hb

wally

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

I'm hoping that my youthful indiscretions won't catch up with me anytime soon...

in the meantime it's full woolly bugger look with long sleeve shirts and sunscreen..

but now a new report is slamming the sunscreens for having dangerous ingredients...

QuoteIn a new investigation of 952 name-brand sunscreens, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that 4 out of 5 sunscreen products offer inadequate protection from the sun, or contain ingredients with significant safety concerns. Leading brands were the worst offenders: None of market leader Coppertone's 41 sunscreen products met EWG's criteria for safety and effectiveness, and only 1 of 103 products from Banana Boat and Neutrogena, the second- and third-largest manufacturers, are recommended by EWG.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/summary.php
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Sorry to hear of your dilemma Walt.........

A little barley beverage may help to ease the suffering, along with blue line fishing in heavy canopy!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.