News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What are the best NC smallmouth streams?

Started by The Dude, July 15, 2008, 07:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

I live in SC now and am familiar with the Virginia smallmouth rivers, but with gas prices, I'm hoping to try out some in NC since it is closer.  I know the French Broad is close, but I'd like to try something other than that.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, I will be on foot, so streams that can be waded would be best.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

1. New River

2. Nolichucky River (NC and TN)

3. Toe River

4. The Little Tennessee River

5. The Hiwassee River
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

The Dude

Many thanks.  I had been wondering about the Nolichucky.  Is it better in NC or Tenn?  I happen to already have a NC fishing license, so NC streams might save me from having to purchase a Tenn license (not sure how they run for OOS fees).  But, I do know that there appears to be easy access to the Nolichucky from I-26 in Tenn.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

Also, if you don't mind.....on the Little Tennessee, does that include above the lake as well?

Woolly Bugger

I'm pretty much going on hearsay! Perhaps someone else will pipe up and answer your more specific questions. I've only fished the chucky above Poplar.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

kylemc

There is plenty of access to the chucky from I-26 on down on hwy 81..i also fishes like there is plenty of access. There are fish but they see alot.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Txfly

QuoteWhat are the best NC smallmouth streams?

The ones with water in them ;D

The Chucky is much better on the Tenn. side. Wider and more wade-able.

You shouldn't need a boat for any smallmouth river around here right now.