Cape Fear River Locks & Dam vote tonight 7-14-08

Started by Al, July 14, 2008, 15:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

We talked about this last week. Critacal vote tonight. Send your rep an email ..........

CCA Supports Legislation for Cape Fear River Rock Arch Fish Ramps

The Senate will vote on this issue tonight! (07-14-08) Don't delay. Send this alert now!!

Dating back to our earliest settlers, the Cape Fear River has been a major part of our state's history. It has been an important source of fish, recreation, and transportation between two of our largest colonial cities, Wilmington and Fayetteville.  A series of locks and dams were installed in order to make transportation on the river viable. This action enhanced river transportation but it inhibited anadramous fish (fish that live in salt water and come back to spawn in fresh water) from being able to return to spawn.

River transportation on the Cape Fear River ended some 20 years ago. The Corps of engineers would like to remove the locks and dams. This would allow the shad and striper to move up and down the river again, but would cause two aggravating factors. The towns that use the river for its water supply would be affected and there would be times of low flow which could make the river unmanageable to fishermen.

A bill proposed by Senator Tony Rand from Cumberland County would allow the State of North Carolina to take ownership of the locks and dams, subject to two provisions.  The Corps of Engineers would have to bring the locks and dams up to excellent operating condition and the Corps would install "rock arch fish ramps" enabling the fish to move up the river to spawn.

The rock arch ramps would allow over 90% of the fish to swim upstream to their spawning grounds, and produce a fishery that would rank in the top of United States. The economic impact on the fishery would foster over $ 30 million yearly in recreational fishing dollars for the three county region. The stripers, shad, and herring in the Cape Fear River would also enhance the saltwater fishery for such species as tarpon, red drum, trout, and flounder at the mouth of the river.

Another benefit is many acres of prime waterfront land would be conveyed to the state in this proposal. The land could be used for water access, wildlife sanctuaries, and recreational sites.

CCA NC needs your voice in support of House Bill 2785. Please pass this information along to your fishing friends in North Carolina. This legislation has the capability to make the Cape Fear River a top destination in the Southeast to fish. Let's not waste this opportunity to help make positive change.

The Senate will vote on this issue tonight! (07-14-08) Don't delay. Send this alert now!!

Click the link below to contact the appropriate Elected Officials on this issue.

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/ccanc25865735.aspx

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Cape Fear Locks & Dams and fish passage bill passed both house and senate and now waits the governors signature. Remains to be seen what will happen once the governor signs it into law. My guess is that the COE will drag their feet in any repairs - I doubt they have any money set aside for that and will have to do a study before going to congress for an appropriation. Hope I am wrong but I have watched the COE work on the Smith River up in VA and nothing comes easy.

Video which shows the problem and possible solution http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/3173083/

Related story http://www.newsobserver.com/802/story/1113017.html

The actual bill which passed and now waits governors signature
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2007/Bills/House/HTML/H1813v1.html