News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

furled leader question

Started by 9ft4wt, May 14, 2008, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9ft4wt

I am a big fan of furled leaders and use them for all dry fly fishing. Another angler recently told me because of the thickness of the leaders that they can throw a shadow that spooks fish in clear water.

anyone ever had any experience with this?

9f4wt

phg

Quote from: 9ft4wt on May 14, 2008, 12:30:08 PM
I am a big fan of furled leaders and use them for all dry fly fishing. Another angler recently told me because of the thickness of the leaders that they can throw a shadow that spooks fish in clear water.

anyone ever had any experience with this?

9f4wt

Thick compared to what?  ???  I make mine out of 8/0 Uni-Thread, and the business end is pretty thin.  That, and the fact that the leader is so limp, I that I think it is grasping at straws to blame the leader for spooking fish.  Sloppy wading, sloppy casting, poor drift, etc. are all much more likely to cause a problem.

troutphisher

9ft4wt,

I don't use ferruled leaders for some of the same reasons. I tried them a couple of years ago, and the fishing was not as productive. I could also see the shadow projected by the leader on the bottom of the stream in  crystal clear water conditions. I also noticed when working the fly on the surface, such as twitching or skittering a caddis, the ferruled leader disturbed the surface more. This could play a role in spooking fish, when you cast over them while fishing up stream. If your fishing down stream to them, and keep just the tippet in view of the fish, then it probably has less impact.

The ferruled leader I used was a grey color, this color or any solid color can be seen easily against a blue sky , this also could cause fish to spook. Most times fish are looking at a sky blue background, or grey (depending on the weather conditions) against this background anything dark or solid color will show up very clearly, you get some relief from this when fishing broken water such as riffles, but then you might be inclined to change leaders often, to match conditions.
I found using tapered leaders can cover all conditions well.

For this reason I have switched back to a knot less tapered leader and use a 9ft 6x exclusively now where the colors are clear or a very opaque green tint. The connection to the fly line is a nail knot to make a very slim transition to the fly line. I have found the loop connections cause some of the same issues as ferruled leaders do. I use about 2-1/2 ft of 6x tippet in combination with a tapered leader and that has done very well for me, on dry fly's and nymphing small patterns on small clear creeks and trout that have had a lot of pressure put on them but other fisher's.
I don't fish larger patterns, like streamers or buggers, so this set up covers all of my fishing needs.

This is just my personal experience with ferruled leaders. Others have used them with success.

TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

7X will cast a shadow on the stream bottom when the sun is overhead 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski