Stripers @ Roanoke River 25 Apr 08

Started by Al, April 27, 2008, 20:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Made my annual run to the Roanoke to try for stripers last Friday. Been reading the reports and they are right - the fish are in, but they were also right in saying that the big ones have not arrived yet.

This being the last week for keeping fish you can imagine everyone and his brother was there. I called a buddy who was also going and he was at the ramp at about 8:30am waiting for 27 other boats to launch ahead of him. Things must have gone fairly smooth because when we arrived about 45 minutes later we were next in line. We motored down to the big rock and started drifting big minnows and dodging at least a hundred boats doing the same. My fishing partner hooked up almost immediately and then proceeded to do it two more times in a row while I bit my lower lip and tried to smile.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

He finally told me he was just lowering it to the bottom and letting it bump along as we drifted. I had been casting to the rear and dragging it along. As soon as I smartened up I had my first fish.

Most of our fish were just shy of the 18 inch mark where you can keep them (Limit of 2 with a slot of 18-22 inches or above 27 inches). It really didn't matter because there were enough of them to keep our rods bent most of the day.

In my opinion any fish that spends some of it's life in the ocean is going to be a powerful fish. These small but feisty stripers lived up to that theory.

We started with 6 dozen minnows and went through all of them by 3pm. All fish were caught using circle hooks which connect on the edge of the mouth making for easy removal and release without very much stress to the fish. Once the minnows were about gone I tied on a 3 inch Sassy Shad and caught a few more.

We probably boated 50-60 fish. Not a banner day, but not bad either. I kept in touch with my buddy via cell phone. He and another fishing friend were in a wide flat bottomed Jon boat and the other fellow knew the river and how to get above the Weldon rocks without knocking his motors lower unit out of whack. They reported exceptional fishing above the rocks. Very few boats up there and the fish were also larger. To add icing on the cake, they were using flyrods and estimated they caught and released about 100 fish.

I expect the best is yet to come. Once the "catch & keep" season ends on April 30th the crowds will thin out and the larger females will arrive to do their thing. The Roanoke River striper fishery may never recover to the point that "old timers" talk about but it has come a long way since the NCWRC got serious about enforcing recovery related rules.

troutrus

Nice report Al.
NCWRC shocked up some big girls last week, with 18 fish over 40" and a couple that went almost 50#.

Woolly Bugger

Good Catching Al!

I've only been once for the shad run, getting above the rapids is a treat, but you best know what your doing!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jkilday4

What a fatty that next to last pic is!  Good report - good luck after the 30th

kylemc

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.