News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly Line Q

Started by troutfreak, April 24, 2008, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfreak

Okay guys I usually fish with a 8.5 ft 5 wt Sage fli rod and BBS III reel.  Which line to you guys recommend?  Anyone have any info on new Rio Gold vs Rio Selective Trout vs Rio Nymph lines????  Any info appreciated.  I went to local fly shop, of course they said all were good, but recommended the SA Shark line. 
Thanks,
TF

Woolly Bugger

I go with SA Mastery.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

I have the Rio selective trout 5wt line in both double taper and weight forward designs.
The line is very supple, but unfortunately this characteristic also makes it prone to damage. I still use a nail knot for leader to line connection, as this line does not hold up well to the pressures of a nail knot for me. Often times I cut the fly line shell when pulling the nail knot tight.

The durability of the selective trout line leaves a little to be desired also. This line is two years old and starting to crack. I take care of my lines, cleaning them after use, not storing them in excessive temps and always covered in a reel bag or pouch.

On warm days, temps over 65, the lines become very limber and feels to soft to me.

I don't think I will purchase another one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutfreak

Well, that doesn't make me decisive in my decision making.  But I do respect what you two guys say as much as you fish.  Maybe, I will take a better look at the SA Mastery.

TP,
I noticed the Rio nymph line to be a little fatter thoughout and especially at the end...making it probably a better shooting line.  Do you think the circumference difference of the line compared to the other Rio lines would help with strength/cracking?  Or do you have a suggestion for on lines?

Tony

Fire-Fly

Troutfreak.. I just got the Rio gold, and i really like it, it is a good all round line, it makes short cast easy and will cast out a good distance. You could also look at the rio grand which is a half size larger to load fast action rods quicker. As for the sharkskin i have not used it but i have seen alot of guys who have bought it are trying to sell it, most say they dont like the sound it makes going through the guides.

peter p

I cast the SharkSkin for the 1st time on Monday.  The noise could be a little annoying.  But, it cast well. 
Peter

troutphisher

TF,

I mainly use Cortland products. I like the durability of their lines. I have used the 333, 444 and 555 products. Trout Maharishi pointed out to me, that Cortland holds their line weights closer to the original silk line ratings, and I fish bamboo 99% of the time so the Cortland lines work well for me.

I typically get 3 to 5 years use out of them depending on the line design. Double taper lines can be reversed and you can get extra mileage out them.

Also, I am a cheap bastard. Unless something has unique characteristic worth spending the extra on or peaks my curiosity, I buy the best value.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

LeeG

TP

You may want to look at AirFlo lines.  Personnally I have not used one but have used their leaders and they are great.  Here is a link to their website.  AirFlo

Lee
Lee Goldsmith
Lee's Fishing Page
Acton, Maine

troutfreak

TP,
Makes sense.  Most do use Cortland on bamboo.  I think I will try the Rio Gold and go from there.  I will let youguys know what I think.

TxFly,
I have heard the same thing, sound being a issue with Sharkskin.
Thanks,
TF

Fire-Fly

I just recently got rid of the airflow ridgeline i had, only a year old and it would not float at all, i had to coat it with mucillin 3-4 times a day while fishing, i went to the rio gold and so far it floats great.
Quote from: LeeG on April 24, 2008, 11:15:33 AM
TP

You may want to look at AirFlo lines.  Personnally I have not used one but have used their leaders and they are great.  Here is a link to their website.  AirFlo

Lee