Hmmm.. GE a good buy @ $32.50???

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 11, 2008, 10:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I'm in!  ;hb

Might be a little shaky for a while but I have FAITH in GE for the LONG TERM, although I'll take short term gains too!  ;hb

Any other VALUES out there? ;hb
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Hmmmm

When the stock goes north, do you plan on buying a tailwater river with your profits?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Silver Creek

Wait on the buy order.

You never know when the stock will turn around. "Don't try to catch a falling knife", otherwise you will get cut.

It is better to wait until the stock starts to rise again before buying but make sure that it is not a "dead cat bounce".
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

troutphisher

GE announced first quarter 2008 earnings from continuing operations of $4.4 billion with $.44 per share.

Smart buy  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

peter p

Peter

troutphisher

Quote from: peter p on April 11, 2008, 20:37:35 PM
No disclaimers on this post?

Invest at you own personal risk factor, as index's may change at any given second during trading times.

Day trading is bad for your health, and may cause serious medical issues.

Including, but not limited to; heavy drug use, excessive alcohol consumption , hard exotic drug use and infection caused excessive needle injections.

And anything else you can think of....

That should pretty much cover it Pete.

peter p

That about covers most of it. 

Except maybe your investments are not guaranteed and may go down in value.  If you are lucky, you will hve enough $ left over at some point to retire by age 80 
Peter

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: peter p on April 11, 2008, 20:37:35 PM
No disclaimers on this post?
We don't need no stinkin disclaimers...

The Stock Price Quote provided is for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. BRFFF does not guarantee the sequence, accuracy, or completeness of any stock price information or other data displayed, nor shall PSA be liable in any way to the reader or to any other person, firm or corporation whatsoever for any delays, inaccuracies, errors in, or omission of any such information or data or the transmission thereof, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon or for any damages arising therefrom or occasioned thereby or by reason of nonperformance or interruption, or termination, of the stock price information for any cause whatsoever.

Note: Historical and current stock price performance data is not necessarily indicative of future performance
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

phg

Yeah, that was a shocker!  At current levels, assuming that management isn't lying to us, it would appear to be a buy, but I'm with Peter, I'd wait a bit. 

The conundrum is this.  Normally, management "warns" when results are expected to come up short of estimates by a penny or two per share.  This time, GE's management stayed mum, even though they were missing estimates by over 12%.  They had to know this (or else they are totally incompetent) so why didn't they warn?  ...And, since they didn't warn, is there more bad news yet to come?  Is the second quarter also at risk...?

If their full year guidance is worth anything, then at current prices it's an OK buy.  If, however, their whole year is going to be 12% off projections, then $28 is a more reasonable price (using the current p/e of 14).  Anyway, a 12% hit for missing by 12% is pretty reasonable, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to take a position. 

New update, watch Wacovia for few days as well.  Now that they've admitted their mortgage exposure (which everyone already knew about) they may drop to a good entry point.  Again, though, don't get in a hurry.  Let it settle first.

Disclaimer:  I do not own any GE, but it is a stock I've been tracking for a couple of years. 

Silver Creek

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 11, 2008, 10:33:31 AM
I'm in!  ;hb

Might be a little shaky for a while but I have FAITH in GE for the LONG TERM, although I'll take short term gains too!  ;hb

Any other VALUES out there? ;hb

Hope you didn't buy at $32.50. Closed at $31.75 today. The knife is still falling.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

troutphisher

It's 32.73 as of 3:15 pm.

You can catch a falling knife, if you act quickly......LOL

.23/share in 7 days......keep it wool!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutphisher

$33.33  as of 2:39pm........

Almost a buck a share!!!!!!

Your on a roll Woowe

phg

yup, looks like it was a buy at $32.50.  Actually it probably still is, although I'd wouldn't touch it today.  A sharp run-up on light volume isn't likely to stick.  I expect that it will continue to trade in this range for another week or two, or until there is some positive news to serve as a catalyst for higher valuations.  (A major drop in crude prices could do just that.)

Frankly, I don't have the stomach to be an active trader.  Too many imponderables making it too much like gambling. :P  I'm not really risk-adverse, and don't mind taking calculated risks, but pure chance just never appealed to me.

flatlander

Quote from: phg on April 24, 2008, 14:01:35 PM

Frankly, I don't have the stomach to be an active trader.  Too many imponderables making it too much like gambling. :P  I'm not really risk-adverse, and don't mind taking calculated risks, but pure chance just never appealed to me.

It's GE for goodness' sake ...he's not trading penny stocks on the pink sheets ;D  Sounds like a good buy to me Woolly.  You bought it at its 06 support.  If it busts through that then you might pull out and wait for a lower entry point.  Long term, I think GE is about as safe as it gets.  So diversified internationally.  Good luck.