News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A Steelhead By Any Name…….

Started by trout-r-us, May 02, 2023, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

"Everyone loves a good debate. From politics and sports, to whether Big Foot exists, to which Kardashian is the worst (definitely Khloé), people will argue about absolutely anything. In the world of fishing, this couldn't be more true.
Anglers are always quick to defend their favorite species, techniques, or gear. While most of these arguments are fairly tame, there are some that anglers debate with all the fervent passion of "Macho Man" Randy Savage snapping into a Slim Jim. Most prominent among these triggering topics is whether the adfluvial rainbow trout found in the Great Lakes can truly be called "Steelhead."

https://www.themeateater.com/fish/freshwater/are-great-lakes-steelhead-really-steelhead

With Lightfoot's passing my mind wandered back to days gone by and Great Lakes Fishing.
Last time I caught fish called Steelhead was 36 years ago, when me and a buddy found some schoolies stacked up in the mouth of Sodus Bay off of Lake Ontario in New York. All I remember is that they fought like heck and tasted pretty good. And anyone that's caught the big girls up in a small river will attest to the fact that they put on quite a show.
If the "hey dude" boys on the West coast want to believe they own the only Steelhead, I for one don't really give a darn. I've got my memories.
Sometimes I wish I was that young again. But then I'd have to go back to work.😬 No thanks!You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

My son surprised me with a nice piece of fish art on my recent birthday. A wood carving that the artist described as a steelhead. Or maybe it's a Rainbow. 🤔
Either way, I'm amazed at what the guy can do with a chunk of wood and a little paint.

You cannot view this attachment.
Now it hangs in my reading room. 🙂
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus