• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
October 28, 2021, 00:36:27 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

US tax dollars...

Started by Gofisher, April 10, 2008, 12:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gofisher

...Hard at work educating those that would destroy us! It's a madras, in our own country, partially paid for by US tax dollars. How many of these do you think there are across the country?

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S407036.shtml?cat=1

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Trout Maharishi

April 10, 2008, 13:35:49 PM #1 Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 13:39:08 PM by Trout Maharishi

If that is bothering you, I'd suggest you take a drink before you take a look at the Pig Book :P Why just sunder it by religion, how do you feel about Black colleges?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2427156/The-2008--

There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot.

Lefty Kreh

troutphisher

Stricter laws are required here. There is no way this should have happened.
However this does not surprise me one bit.

It is happening in our schools every day. A good example of this is the "creation theory" now incorporated into biology textbooks. Its presence was argued, that it was an alternative to Darwin's evolution theory.

Bullshit!

It's a back door approach to inject religion into our public schools.

I have no problems with religious schools. I was forced to attend them for 9 years.
The difference was my parents had to shell out the extra cash to send me. It was a private Catholic school not funded by tax dollars.

To days folks don't want to pony up and pay the costs, instead they are trying to change policy, and force public schools to teach religion.
Using tax dollars to foot the bill.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

calebB

TP,
I am curious of your reasons why children should not be taught the theory of creation in schools?  Should not kids be taught BOTH sides of an issue so they can decide for themselves what the want to believe?  Or do they not have that kind of freedom?

I would also be careful about the comparison of "teaching the creation theory" and a "charter school practicing Islam."  From the sounds of the news article on the charter school, Islam was the only religion practiced/taught.  I am all for the separation of church and state and I am not for religion being taught in a public school-- but to make this comparison, the charter school would have to "observe/teach" other religions as well.  As far as I know, when creation is taught in public schools it is not by itself, but along side of the evolution theory.

Caleb

lepomis_mcro

April 10, 2008, 23:10:55 PM #4 Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 23:19:54 PM by lepomis_mcro
Quote from: calebB on April 10, 2008, 22:24:12 PM

TP,
I am curious of your reasons why children should not be taught the theory of creation in schools?  Should not kids be taught BOTH sides of an issue so they can decide for themselves what the want to believe?  Or do they not have that kind of freedom?

i would love to answer that question with another question if i may.... by that argument, should kids be taught that the earth is round, since that is what science has told us, and then turn around and teach the same kids that the earth is also flat since that is what religion has told us in the past? then tell the kids "hey decide for yourself".. it might be round, or it could be flat. or better yet we could just tell kids that there may be no such thing as gravity, its invisible angels that help keep our feet planted on the ground.

also if we teach the theory of creation.. what creation should we teach? the christian creation, or how the hindu religion tells us how the world was formed, should we teach as facts to our kids how the greek thought man was first created. its a slippery slope... we should just stick to facts in schools. save the mumbo jumbo so it can be taught at home.

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

calebB

facts?  How do you know evolution is a fact?  Is there any evolution happening today?

lepomis_mcro

April 10, 2008, 23:25:27 PM #6 Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 23:27:31 PM by lepomis_mcro
Quote from: calebB on April 10, 2008, 23:18:38 PM

facts?  How do you know evolution is a fact?  Is there any evolution happening today?

yes in point of fact it is.

Signs of recent evolution by natural selection are widespread across the human genome, experts say. The results suggest that humans in different regions have continued to adapt in numerous ways to both environmental changes and cultural innovations.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0308_060308_evolution.html

i answer your question.. but you didnt answer mine.. should we teach that the earth might be flat, or that there is no such thing as gravity?   are we sure that those are facts?  science could be wrong you know.

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

calebB

April 10, 2008, 23:38:47 PM #7 Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 23:41:57 PM by calebB

We know for a fact that the earth is round, via photos from space.  So there would be no reason to teach that the earth might be flat, because of solid evidence.

Evolution on the other hand does not have any solid evidence.  It is a theory that was created to try to explain the origins of the earth.

The link that you gave me I would not call evidence at all. 

more than 700 regions in human DNA where apparently strong selection has occurred

more than 700 regions out of how many?  Apparently?  Also, is DNA the largest example you can find?  I am talking about something actually that you know for a fact evolved through a process from another creature.  But there are no photos of the total process and you have never seen this evolution take place on a larger scale, so how is it fact?  Just as you did not see creation happen, they are both theories/ideas about the origins of the earth and humans, so both should be taught in public schools.

lepomis_mcro

April 11, 2008, 08:16:01 AM #8 Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:20:03 AM by lepomis_mcro

we know the earth is round because of photos from space? those could be photo shopped.

ok so you still think creation should be taught in schools on the tax payers dime.... so i ask again what version of creation should we chose. or should we teach every religions version of creation know to man. since thay are all just theorys... or should we teach only the ones that you agree with.

But there are no photos of the total process and you have never seen this evolution take place on a larger scale, so how is it fact?

if evolution happens on a large scale, or even on a small scale... guess what, its still happening. and isnt that what you asked for. to know for a fact that evolution is happening today.

Definitions of evolution
Biological evolution is the process of change over time in the heritable characteristics, or traits, of a population of organisms. Heritable traits are encoded by the genetic material of an organism (usually DNA).

more than 700 regions in human DNA where apparently strong selection has occurred

i got 700 regions showing evolution, how much proof you have that the earth was made in seven days?

troutphisher

Quote from: calebB on April 10, 2008, 22:24:12 PM

TP,

I would also be careful about the comparison of "teaching the creation theory" and a "charter school practicing Islam."  From the sounds of the news article on the charter school, Islam was the only religion practiced/taught.  I am all for the separation of church and state and I am not for religion being taught in a public school-- but to make this comparison, the charter school would have to "observe/teach" other religions as well.  As far as I know, when creation is taught in public schools it is not by itself, but along side of the evolution theory.

Caleb

Caleb,

Devine creation is not science. It requires faith.
God or the creator can have many meanings depending on the personal beliefs or faith.
There is no evidence of the existence of a creator. There is only faith that one exists.

By this standard alone, it does not qualify as science, and therefore should not be taught in a science curriculum.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot.

Lefty Kreh

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Wool,

If we are to believe the museum, then we must dismiss science. And rely on faith.

Here is an example.

Radiometric isotopes are the strongest indicators that the earth is very old.
All the fast decaying isotopes are gone (Ross 1994, 95). If the earth were young, they would still be here. Decay rates are constant even at extreme temperatures of 2000 C or -186 C.

Lunar rocks measured by conventional K-Ar can only measure the last heating and impact event, but Ar40/Ar39 and Rb-Sr isochronal dating both show the moon to be about 4 billion years old.

Most igneous moon rocks are basalt like on earth. There are more similarities than differences. Because the lead compositions of the earth, moon, and meteorites lie along the same isochrones gives convincing evidence that planetary bodies, including the earth, all formed about 4.55 billion years ago.

So for the museum to portray the earth is only 6000 years old is "faith" not science.

They would have to ignore the most basic frame of reference we have, the speed of light. A measurable physical quantity, in other words "Science"

I hope they aren't getting any federal or state tax dollars....

Woolly Bugger

I just think that ALL religion was CREATED by man to impose rules and authority over society.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 11, 2008, 10:16:46 AM

I just think that ALL religion was CREATED by man to impose rules and authority over society.

A-man, brother :)

#CommissionsEarned