News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Switch Rod Review

Started by glassfisher, March 31, 2008, 21:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassfisher

Some of you guys may have heard about switch rods, a combination of a spey and standard rod.  I decided to pick one up a few months ago for tailwater fishing from a small company out west, Beulah. I have to say I'm really impressed with it.  It's easy to cast, launches line a mile, and does a great job protecting light tippets with big fish, this is NOT a broomstick.  I got the 10.5 ft. 4/5 weight rod and found it casts best with a RIO Grand 6 wt line.  They have line recommendations on their site,  and you'll find that you should line up for most standard casting situations.  Not many 10.5 ft rods out there that you can cast all day and not have a sore shoulder the next day!   ;D

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/usmain.html
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

ditchmonkey

noice choice glass, ive got the 7/8 and friggen love it, your right, they are not broomsticks in any way, just curious as to what reel you put on yours? i had a big orvis mach V on it for a while and hated it, made it wayyyy heavy, put on a battenkill mid arbor and love it now

good choice though, beulah is still a newer company that needs all the publicicty we can give them, top notch folks too......
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.

glassfisher

I fish it with a 5/6 Hardy Ultralight Large Arbor and it's the perfect fit for this rod.

What do you use the 7/8 for, salt or freshwater?  What line works on it?
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

ditchmonkey

i bought it for steelhead but i'd like to try it for a red or something this summer, i bought the elixer line with it but theres nothing gentle about it when it hits the water, so i'll prolly be trying out some different tapers before i head down that way, that elixer is a pretty sweet line though, i'd totally reccommend it, even for the price......
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.